Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I think you and Balta were both saying the league would have to see Cease pitch to know if he was 2022 or 2023 Dylan Cease. They did, and we got a haul. Everybody's right. 

Risk management. Holding out as long as possible into the season if necessary could increase the returns. But how sure were the White Sox themselves which Cease this is. Maybe get while the getting is (good enough)

• Like 2

Don't like the trade. The way this Sox fan sees the offseason is we got rid of two of our best players, Anderson and Cease, a few months after getting rid of Burger for some reason. I'm not buying the mlb package so you'll probably not hear from me a lot on here ever again. Sick of rebuilding/reloading. My fave team is a joke folks. I used to enjoy watching some games in the summer.  Sad.

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Balta may still be right as well, no?  Thorpe is #85 on MLB’s top 100.

Yeah, but like Baltimore prospects, you have to divide San Diego's rankings by 10. A #85 prospect is really like a #8.5 prospect because they're developed so well. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So I guess congrats that he moved at all?

One solid prospect, one guy outside the top 100 with promise, and a likely reliever is probably 1 more player than I thought he was worth, so I guess y’all can brag on that, but this is a far cry from what he was supposed to be worth.

Is Zavala Robert’s replacement?

I have no doubt it is, and that Robert will be the last big bullet dealt to bolster the new rebuild.

5 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

i dont see why Thorpe isn't mlb ready, he has everything in his arsenal to succeed at the major league level now.  he isn't going to get better command, or throw any harder, call the kid up

Looks like he has a total of 30 AA innings? Let him throw at least a half season against AA level competition first.

7 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

i dont see why Thorpe isn't mlb ready, he has everything in his arsenal to succeed at the major league level now.  he isn't going to get better command, or throw any harder, call the kid up

Y tho?  No need to start his clock before at least September. 

• Like 1

AJ saw Thorpe pitch yesterday and he was only hitting 88 on radar gun, asked Ken Rosenthal how is he a top 100 guy only throwing 88? Ken had no answer.

Edited by Soxfest
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Hawk 1
  • Paper Bag 1

7 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

It appears you and Aly had the better of the argument.

Congrats.

Eh. I think the return falls between what they were saying and what most of us were expecting. Neither can really dunk on the other over the outcome. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No top 25 guys?  I’m shocked!

Quantity over quality deal?  I’m shocked!

Received a ML player in the deal?  I’m shocked!

Didn’t get 2 top 100 guys(well FG has 2 of them, no one else I believe)?  I’m shocked!  

This deal is absolutely not close to anything any of you wanted or said you would get. 

You all jumped on me when I said you weren’t getting Mayo or Basallo. “how do you know”.  You jumped on me when I said you weren’t getting that level of prospect.

Reports were the Os offered the WS the Burnes deal plus another player. Who knows who that player was. I felt Beavers was possible but it was a guess. I can you guys preferring this deal because of youth and some upside. No issues with that but this deal isn’t really better. It’s just different.

Either way, i am glad you guys got to trade him and didn’t get stuck with an injury or something like that.   Zavala is the key to the deal imo. Thorpe should be a solid but likely unspectacular starter but Zavala has real upside.  Os have 4-5 similar offensive lottery tickets.  I do wish the Os had stepped up and challenged this offer but Thorpe is higher profile, at least for now, than McDermott and Povich and they may have needed that guy in the deal.

@Chicago White Sox I’m sure you aren’t happy but appreciate the conversation over on our board. 

Orioles equivalent package would have been something like Kjerstad + Norby + Beavers. But I like this package better. I said early on I wanted young prospects with high upside even if it meant they were riskier. That’s exactly what this is. Would I have liked a better 4th piece than a 29 year old RP? Sure. But I think it’s a fair deal for both sides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soxfest said:

AJ saw Thorpe pitch yesterday and he was only hitting 88 on radar gun, asked Ken Rosenthal how is he a top 100 guy only throwing 88? Ken had no answer

Good lord…so best case scenario is he’s Kyle Hendricks.  The comps to Hellickson and Estrada are frightening.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I have no doubt it is, and that Robert will be the last big bullet dealt to bolster the new rebuild.

I said this months ago. If the Sox trade robert next winter, there’s a very real possibility they have 8 top 100 mlb prospects after that trade is completed. They now have 4 with several fringe top 100 guys like Ramos, zavala, Iriarte, quero. They’ll add a 5th in the draft and Robert should return at least 2 if he has another big year.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

All five Central teams lined up #19-25 lol.

You would never figure out the near hopeless one going by this.

To me, the absolute floor I'd insist on if I was a MLB owner is the $105M + annually each team receives just for the national TV contracts plus MLB.com.

This is guaranteed before a single ticket is sold, car is parked, TV/Radio dollar is collected,, local sponsorship is sold. Before the tens of millions in revenue sharing for most of the bottom dozen teams (White Sox one of the few exceptions).

Getz will need to gather several more solid roster players for 2026-2027, field a few winning teams and hope fans come out so Jerry will get back to at least a decent payroll once these tanking years are over.

It's really a shame the Sox made the lottery last year, would have a solid shot at a Top 3 2025 draft pick with a much better draft class. Now they are 10 + guaranteed with the ridiculous MLB owner imposed draft rules.

• Like 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I said this months ago. If the Sox trade robert next winter, there’s a very real possibility they have 8 top 100 mlb prospects after that trade is completed. They now have 4 with several fringe top 100 guys like Ramos, zavala, Iriarte, quero. They’ll add a 5th in the draft and Robert should return at least 2 if he has another big year.

Who cares? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Thorpe is scariest part of the deal. If he loses any more on the fastball velocity he will not make it as a starter. I’m fine with the other two pieces, but Thorpe as the headliner makes me pause. 

Yep, needed Lesko or Snelling

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Risk management. Holding out as long as possible into the season if necessary could increase the returns. But how sure were the White Sox themselves which Cease this is. Maybe get while the getting is (good enough)

There is also risk appetite and I don’t think Getz had enough of it to go into the season and risk injury with Cease pitching until the trade deadline.  I wouldn’t have had it either.

• Like 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic