Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)

Buehrle>Wood

He’s legit. Six decent pitches, one of the best curveballs I’ve ever seen. Hits 98 when he wants. Elite command, can fall back on the slider/cutter/change if the curve/splitter aren’t working. Deceptive delivery. Hard worker, open-minded and a good teammate. He’s gonna be a good one.

Only thing is he’s small. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, wegner said:

At least now, unlike the off season of the "pursuit" of the 2 whales, we don't have to waste our time speculating whether the Sox are in the hunt for legitimate free agents.

Not to be a broken record but I got mad thinking about our Sox today. Even under Veeck who had no $$ the Sox would acquire some guys that actually were worth paying to see and get excited about (Zisk, Gamble, Soderholm, Tom Seaver). Yes he failed a few times (Claudell Washington, Bobby Bonds, Pasqua) but he did something for the fans almost every year. Now with an owner who has some money, Jerry, the Sox are doing nothing. Going into spring training probably with one star, Robert. Adding nobody of note.

This is really annoying and sad. We have to hope guys like Vaughn and Eloy and Timmy and Beni have career years so to speak to see any improvement at all. I mean the Sox should make at least 2 significant acquisitions this offseason to spike interest. I can't believe the Sox have a local TV deal. nobody's going to watch these guys play ball.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

He’s legit. Six decent pitches, one of the best curveballs I’ve ever seen. Hits 98 when he wants. Elite command, can fall back on the slider/cutter/change if the curve/splitter aren’t working. Deceptive delivery. Hard worker, open-minded and a good teammate. He’s gonna be a good one.

Only thing is he’s small. 

You got screen play rights? I'm sold.

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Not to be a broken record but I got mad thinking about our Sox today. Even under Veeck who had no $$ the Sox would acquire some guys that actually were worth paying to see and get excited about (Zisk, Gamble, Soderholm, Tom Seaver). Yes he failed a few times (Claudell Washington, Bobby Bonds, Pasqua) but he did something for the fans almost every year. Now with an owner who has some money, Jerry, the Sox are doing nothing. Going into spring training probably with one star, Robert. Adding nobody of note.

This is really annoying and sad. We have to hope guys like Vaughn and Eloy and Timmy and Beni have career years so to speak to see any improvement at all. I mean the Sox should make at least 2 significant acquisitions this offseason to spike interest. I can't believe the Sox have a local TV deal. nobody's going to watch these guys play ball.

No more Tim Anderson, in all likelihood.   Probably ends up a Dodger, lol.

JR controls a big chunk of NBC Sports Chicago, along with NBC Universal and the Blackhawks.  No danger of the Sox going off the air anytime soon...like with the Bally/RSN situation that affected roughly half the teams in baseball last year.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Seaver and Pasqua played with the Sox during the JR regime which unfortunately is still with us.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

5 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Unreal to be honest. At what point does the MLB do something about the overspending from these big teams?

You think ticket, beer, hot dog and peanut prices are high now, a working man with a family will have to take out a second mortgage to go to a ball game. Small market teams won’t be able to compete at all and we will probably see some teams either fold or try to move to larger markets if there are any left, Montreal would be a possibility.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

52 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

You think ticket, beer, hot dog and peanut prices are high now, a working man with a family will have to take out a second mortgage to go to a ball game. Small market teams won’t be able to compete at all and we will probably see some teams either fold or try to move to larger markets if there are any left, Montreal would be a possibility.

LA has always maintained relatively affordable seats and parking.   They understand their market perfectly.

And four superstars didn’t guarantee anything but a .500 team in SD…the same fate likely awaits the Dodgers unless the fix their starting pitching and bullpen to a lesser extent.

At any rate, the obvious fault lines will be when lower and middle tier teams attempt to raise prices without increasing the quality of the product on the field.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

the solution is to stop caring about the white sox until they're no longer 💩

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Unreal to be honest. At what point does the MLB do something about the overspending from these big teams?

Only so much.  Little things like the CBA and the Constitution get in the way.  Actually, it might make for an interesting season.

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would be surprised by this. Heyman tends to report from the agent side so I'm skeptical.

It’s a good point. I think the length is gonna get crazy as opposed to the AAV, because of his age and the fact that owners obviously realize now that it’s better for them think of the contract as a lump investment and spread it out over a long time. 

33 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

It’s a good point. I think the length is gonna get crazy as opposed to the AAV, because of his age and the fact that owners obviously realize now that it’s better for them think of the contract as a lump investment and spread it out over a long time. 

I agree

Years seemingly matter less than getting the AAV down to a reasonable amount. It's rare for a top end pitching prospect to hit free agency at age 25 like this, so the numbers could get absurd. 

Free agents signing for gigantic money should only aid the Sox in negotiating a Cease deal with clubs that miss out and/or cannot spend at the top of the market

12 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

"Every big market team". Last I checked Chicago was a big market and the White Sox play in Chicago so we must be interested. Right? Right?

We are only classified as a big market team when it’s beneficial to Jerry’s bottom line. As far as spending goes….no way we are a big market team, Jerry cries poor 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

Only so much.  Little things like the CBA and the Constitution get in the way.  Actually, it might make for an interesting season.

Restraint of trade, not feasible. When I was a kid you had a stick and a ball, no night lights and that was it.

23 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I dont think Cohen will allow himself to be outbid here. Hopefully it gets done soon so the pitching market can start moving.

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Woof. I am sure he’s a nice pitcher but $300M? Yikes 

I am no scout, but Yamamoto's Japanese league numbers are really similar to Daisuke Matsuzaka's 

Giving $300 million to a player who has never thrown a pitch in the MLB seems like playing with fire 

He already has nearly 1000 professional innings pitched by age 25, there has to be some concern with how a listed 5'10", 175 lb frame will hold up moving forward as a starter

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I am no scout, but Yamamoto's Japanese league numbers are really similar to Daisuke Matsuzaka's 

Giving $300 million to a player who has never thrown a pitch in the MLB seems like playing with fire 

He already has nearly 1000 professional innings pitched by age 25, there has to be some concern with how a listed 5'10", 175 lb frame will hold up moving forward as a starter

Both my concerns as well. Seems superrrr risky.

12 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Ken Rosenthal has a story in The Athletic today explaining how baseball is not "broken" by the Ohtani signing and may in fact be headed for another renaissance. 

Edited by Lip Man 1

21 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Yeah I have no doubt this guy is awesome, but regardless it has not yet officially translated to the MLB. I'd be extremely nervous to pay full price for someone who has not literally shown they can dominate mlb hitters.

I do wonder what Shohei would have gotten had he been 25 when he came over.

• Balta1701 changed the title to Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)