Giolito to the Red Sox, 2 years $38.5 million, Y1 opt out

Balta1701

I'm glad he got guaranteed money and an opt out. Good for him I am pulling for him to regain his form. He's a great dude. 

Dude just got ALL his value destroyed after he got traded but is still gonna get about 20m a year.

However, I have been told by @Frobby and @Sports Guy that we should just accept Ortiz plus table scraps for Cease.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

There is also a third year option if he opts in for 2025:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/red-sox-in-agreement-with-lucas-giolito.html

The deal also contains a conditional option for the 2026 campaign if Giolito opts in. If he throws fewer than 140 innings in 2025, the Sox would have a $14MM club option for the ’26 season. If Giolito reaches 140 innings that year, he’d lock in a $1.5MM buyout on a mutual option for 2026 valued at $19MM.

I’m still somewhat patiently waiting for the vesting option details included in the Maldonado deal.

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm glad he got guaranteed money and an opt out. Good for him I am pulling for him to regain his form. He's a great dude. 

Dude just got ALL his value destroyed after he got traded but is still gonna get about 20m a year.

However, I have been told by @Frobby and @Sports Guy that we should just accept Ortiz plus table scraps for Cease.

To be fair, Frobby & Sports Guy both are aligned to a Kjerstad / Cowser + Ortiz framework.  They just feel like the O’s don’t need to go any higher than that.

14 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Wow. I hope he earns it, but I'm not convinced. 

I wish nothing but the best for Giolito, but I do question if the Boston GM watched much baseball late in the season. Were the Angels and Guardians games blacked out where he lived?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I wish nothing but the best for Giolito, but I do question if the Boston GM watched much baseball late in the season. Were the Angels and Guardians games blacked out where he lived?

Desperation plus an unlimited checkbook must be a hell of a drug...

• Like 1
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

I question is they looked at his spin rates and have a plan to help? 

• Like 1