Grifol, Sox out to prove doubters wrong in 2024 (Merkin Optimism Series)

caulfield12

“I just feel it,” Grifol said. “There is a good vibe. You’ll see it, you’ll feel it, and you’ll hear it from these guys when you talk to them.

“They feel the same way. We’re all in this together. We have a really good staff we’ve assembled with a lot of experience and postseason experience as well. The group of players that we have are not going to let that slip away from us.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-goals-for-improving-in-2024

“It’s more so we know what we can do,” White Sox left fielder Andrew Benintendi said. “The potential in there is extremely high, and honestly, we are in a division that is pretty winnable for any team. It all comes down to staying healthy and playing to our potential. It’s one thing to say and another thing to do.” 

“Paul [DeJong] knows what he can be. I know Nicky [Lopez] knows what he can be. Myself included,” said White Sox starting pitcher Michael Soroka, who played for a consistently good Braves team but one still playing with a chip on its shoulder. “We have a lot of guys, I think, that have something to prove. We know what’s available in ourselves, and we want to pull that out on this team.

“You could end up with a team that is very, very hard to play against because you are playing against a lot of guys playing for their careers. That’s sometimes how some of those teams start. I’m excited to do that. I hope that is this club.”

“Everybody is counting us out,” said White Sox right fielder Gavin Sheets, “The only thing you can do is use that to fuel us. We go out every day trying to play hard and win games, and that doesn’t change what we are going to do.  We all know we aren’t favored to do anything this year. That’s the first time since I’ve been here in the big leagues in three years. We can use that to help us and motivate us and see what we can do with it.”

• Haha 1

Ah the weak division argument from Beni. Nice guy. Nice try. I can't believe my team is now the one that espouses great optimism in preseason articles but we all know we are the new dregs team. Out of it after 3 weeks.

• Like 1

Obviously file all this under non-story/what do you expect them to say, but I do think the below quote from Soroka is kind of refreshing in that it’s more honest than most of the cliche things you’ll hear

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

“You could end up with a team that is very, very hard to play against because you are playing against a lot of guys playing for their careers.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

5 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Obviously file all this under non-story/what do you expect them to say, but I do think the below quote from Soroka is kind of refreshing in that it’s more honest than most of the cliche things you’ll hear

Guys who are playing for their careers are usually often injured or not good players, which typically equates to a bad season.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Guys who are playing for their careers are usually often injured or not good players, which typically equates to a bad season.

Of course. I just think it’s rare to hear professional athletes acknowledge that they’re playing for their career.

38 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Of course. I just think it’s rare to hear professional athletes acknowledge that they’re playing for their career.

If they play good defense and generally play hard, they probably will be easier to root for than last season. Unfortunately all the hopes seem to ride on a weak division.

Your 2024 Chicago White Sox....hey, it could happen.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

If they play good defense and generally play hard, they probably will be easier to root for than last season. Unfortunately all the hopes seem to ride on a weak division.

Your 2024 Chicago White Sox....hey, it could happen.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

As a spectator, there's definitely something nice about a half empty or more ballpark. 

The excitement you can feel and feed off of from the rest of the fans in a full stadium is unbelievable....the rest of what comes with getting to, being in, and leaving a full stadium I can do without.

• Like 1

If they don't do a puff piece like this...what will you have to talk about? But it's seemingly looking like Cease may NOT be traded...and if Fedde is decent and Soroka can be healthy...sure they can improve off of last years god awful. I am more optimistic than most on this board, so will be fine until the inevitable 5+ game losing streak. Then it's back to complaining. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1