Kimbrel traded for AJ Pollock

Sleepy Harold

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

As much as I would like to have Sheets around, I think Kenny Williams said it best with "Where is he going to play?"  Sure there are still some ABs to be had as a fill in and part time DH, but if he gets us a SP, I am better with that.

Agreed.  While Sox OF depth has improved drastically this week, they're still an injury away from both Sheets and AV having everyday roles.  Absolutely nothing wrong with Sheets being Plan B instead of Plan A for DH.  

I am not a huge Manaea guy myself.  I'd love to dropkick Keuchel out of the rotation and make it such that we don't have to overuse Kopech in the first half of the season, but I just don't think Manaea really moves the needle much in October and I don't think winning this division is going to be a problem.  That's my only issue with using the Sheets bullet on Manaea.  Would certainly prefer using the HS pitchers + Adolfo + some other backend top 20 prospect.  But doubt that gets the job done. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Meh, I guess this is better than having kept Kimbrel.

I'm not too stoked about yet another geezing geezer being acquired; 34+ year olds tend to suck when they come to the south side.

Also, his BABIP for 2021 suggests that he was a bit lucky; between his age and a decrease in BaBIp luck, we should see his offense decline a bit.

That said, "Yay, they got an OFer for RF," I guess.

Some of you really can't enjoy anything.

His career BABIP is 310. It was 326 last year. If you normalize it to 311, and take away an even distirbution of hits per type from last year, his wRC would have been 133 instead of 137... oh the horror!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

44 minutes ago, quickman said:

It’s a player option not a team option. If Pollack leaves for free agency the Sox pay him 5 million to leave. He can choose to stay for 10 million 

Andrew McCutchen, in his age 35 season, just took a 1 year/$8.5 mil deal.  However Pollock performs, it's quite likely he'll exercise his player option.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

His career BABIP is 310. It was 326 last year. If you normalize it to 311, and take away an even distirbution of hits per type from last year, his wRC would have been 133 instead of 137... oh the horror!

I mean, did you really expect anything less from @Two-Gun Pete? What in his posting history would tell you he would reply with anything other than what he sent out? 

• Fire 4

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Agreed.  While Sox OF depth has improved drastically this week, they're still an injury away from both Sheets and AV having everyday roles.  Absolutely nothing wrong with Sheets being Plan B instead of Plan A for DH.  

I am not a huge Manaea guy myself.  I'd love to dropkick Keuchel out of the rotation and make it such that we don't have to overuse Kopech in the first half of the season, but I just don't think Manaea really moves the needle much in October and I don't think winning this division is going to be a problem.  That's my only issue with using the Sheets bullet on Manaea.  Would certainly prefer using the HS pitchers + Adolfo + some other backend top 20 prospect.  But doubt that gets the job done. 

I'm not a huge Manaea guy either, and as I mentioned before I hate arms coming out of Oakland, but he'd undoubtedly be an upgrade for the team and I think his impact would be better than the impact Sheets may provide over say... Vaughn taking those AB's. 

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I would think if the Sox traded for Manaea it would be incredibly likely they'd extend him and he'd basically be replacing Keuchel going forward.

With his hometown essentially being a Chicago suburb, this is one of those occasions where an extension might really make sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Andrew McCutchen, in his age 35 season, just took a 1 year/$8.5 mil deal.  However Pollock performs, it's quite likely he'll exercise his player option.

I really disagree here.  I think Pollock only is back in 23 if he's terrible this season or hurt most of the season.  1/$8.5M is 170% of $5M.  He'll definitely bet on himself beating 1/$5m even if he is just decent this year.  

Now if he starts picking up the PA raises, I think that player option becomes more realistic around $13M ($8M net).  

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Here are his BABIPS over the past 5 years, starting with 2021:

.326 (the highest he had since 2015, when he was 27 years old)

Forget the BABIPS that he might have accumulated when he was in his early/mid 20s, and perhaps more athletic/able to beat out the odd hit here and there. Pollock's 2021 did have a bit of BABIP luck.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Seems like a rare win-win for two contending teams.

Sox dump an extra piece and pick up a legitimate RFer for the first time in years.

Dodgers trade away an expendable RFer and pick up a bona fide closer who basically didn't have a role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxFanForever said:

It would be nice if they continued to plug their holes now instead of waiting for July. Why not strike with dealing Sheets or Vaughn and getting a starting pitcher and then extending said pitcher a la Lynn, then get a reliever as depth to replace the injured Crochet?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

BUT WHERE IS OUR RESOURCE ALLOCATION?!?!?

In all seriousness, at this stage of the offseason, the Kimbrel deal had to fill a hole.  Pollock is a great fit, even with his injury history, we have other back up options for when the injuries happen.  If nothing else the defensive ability of the OF just went up a TON, along with a legit bat.  Would have been better if he was LH, but this works.

The resource allocation verdict is still out on Hahn. Let’s let the season go play out and then evaluate the allocation of resources and Hahn’s sometimes questionable acquisitions.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Also, has anyone checked on TLR?  Getting a right fielder might drive him to drink.

Just make sure Pollack drives the Hall of Fame person home from the bar so he’s not in the papers again.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll add, I'd rather have Pollock for this year than Conforto. 

I am fine without Conforto since they got an actual outfielder from another team as opposed to the forced outfielders from the organization.

43 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Ohmigod...Soxtalk has been like a great festering abscess...Kimbrel is terrible, Management is stupid for picking up Kimbrel's extension, we only have 1B playing RF, worst offseason ever...there were 100 negative emails a day.  And then in one single move...the pimple has burst...after cleaning up the puss...the end of Soxtalk negativity.  . 

The end of Soxtalk negativity? Maybe in regards to the offseason. But there will be plenty of debate and criticism to go around. I still would like to see a replacement for Crochet and a starting pitcher to replace Rodon.

25 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

The rare move that is met by almost no negativity on SoxTalk.  Now if they go out and get Manaea, SoxTalk may melt down with positive reaction.

I hope they do what they have to do to get him. Even if it costs Vaughn for Montas or preferably Sheets for Manaea.

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

My grade goes from D to B-.  Still like to see one more SP added, but this trade really makes the off season look different.

Damn, I didn't think Hahn's strategy of Aceing the final to up his grade would work, but good on him.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

They might have gotten the better player from LA to be honest.

Hmm, that's a toss up.  I do believe Belly has a semi bounce back this season and a big bounce back next season.   It actually could have been great for Belly to get out of LA and on a new team with a new hitting coach.  

No way was LA trading him though 

7 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Here are his BABIPS over the past 5 years, starting with 2021:

.326 (the highest he had since 2015, when he was 27 years old)

Forget the BABIPS that he might have accumulated when he was in his early/mid 20s, and perhaps more athletic/able to beat out the odd hit here and there. Pollock's 2021 did have a bit of BABIP luck.

His xwOBA would have ranked him 3rd on the team last year behind Yaz and Robert. The Sox were a pretty good offense last year. His production was expected to be very good. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Nah, Sheets, Ramos and Thompson

I think it will be Burger instead of Sheets, and a different interesting pitcher instead of Thompson. I do not think they're going to have to give up that many quality pieces. 

Edited by Jack Parkman