White Sox Interested in Mahle/Castillo?

DirtySox

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I thought he got 5/100 but it was 4/79. My bad. If I would have said $20M/year I'd have been closer. 

Still, my point about Dunn stands. 

Joc Pederson signed with the Giants this season for $6M, and with Joc we could have had 20 more home runs so far.  Hahn has been awful signing lefty outfielders our main need.

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

The cool thing if they would have signed Schwarber is they would be a very similar team except instead of Gavin Sheets they'd have 25 more home runs

Schwarber would be at 4 home runs if he was on the white sox, we all know this

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I had to guess the offensive help Rick Hahn will go after it would be:

Nelson Cruz - budget doesn't matter when they are a DH. He has heard of Nelson Cruz but couldn't fit him in budget before, but now he's only $7 mill for rest of season. Sure, he's 42 and in his worse season ever, but that just means he's a budget bin, not that he's washed. 50% groundball rate perfect for team.

Christian Walker - Career Year, positional liability, "multiple years of control", Right handed, will point to Home Run Total

Avisail Garcia - "multiple years of control", I sorted 2022 leaders by groundball rate and he was 4th - perfect for Menechino, Down year means he should be cheap, solves "RF issue", Hustles, possible clubhouse cancer a positive

Miguel Cabrera - "Legend, have been trying to get him for a long time", positional liability, 52% groundball rate, Right handed, "Hitting .300"

• Haha 1

Goodbye Colson, Jerry wants to save the ticket receipts from this year and doesn't want to make his near 80-year-old buddy look bad.  He will burn what's left of the farm down to salvage this season to give them a small percentage shot at the playoffs. 

Just now, SoxAce said:

This. People act like these guys would not be underperforming in that aspect either under Menechino.

And for the record, Shwarber I get if we were talking DH, but seeing us run Gavin Sheets out to RF, I mean how can you not be better than that? 

Peterson I don't buy.  He had been awful the past couple of years.  All we would have heard if we had signed him was about dumpster diving, and people would have lost their minds.  Plus I am sure he'd be hitting .150 with 2 homer sof rus.

nope on both. 

mahle has always struggled at home in cinci, which makes me think that he'd have trouble in a similar stadium. 

castillo would be too expensive and not worth that cost when this team has bigger needs.

We need lefty bats ... or at least Tony believes we do. Pittsburgh is the place to go for that. 

Also we don't need anything other than a new manager. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And for the record, Shwarber I get if we were talking DH, but seeing us run Gavin Sheets out to RF, I mean how can you not be better than that? 

Peterson I don't buy.  He had been awful the past couple of years.  All we would have heard if we had signed him was about dumpster diving, and people would have lost their minds.  Plus I am sure he'd be hitting .150 with 2 homer sof rus.

The guy is just a winner....look at the last 2 WS Champions to remind yourself. 

If the Sox would have signed Joc and gotten rid of the Nationwide Jingle, I guarantee you a World Series Championship on the South Side in 2022.....PROVE ME WRONG.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Jerry was never going to sign off on giving Schwarber $100M after the Dunn debacle. 

First of all, Schwarber only singed a 4 year 79 million contract or 19,750 million a year. Secondly, Kyle would have been a decent right fielder as he has only made one error all year in left field in 74 games with two assists, as he has a very strong arm. He would definitely be better than anyone we have put out in right this year. Thirdly, Schwarber has 27 home runs which is 9 more than Abreu and Robert combined and tied for the total amount of home runs of our top three hitters Abreu/Robert/Vaughn! Lastly, Schwarber has played in 80 of 82 games this season and stays healthy, which is something several of our players have a big problem with.

Again, I get Jerry wouldn't want to spend the money for Schwarber, but that is why we have blasted this arrogant loser owner all year for his ineptness as an owner.

Josh Bell would be a huge get…but of course the argument will be don’t block Sheets for the far superior player.

Drury has made and makes sense for a number of teams.

Starting pitching shouldn’t be prioritized over hitting right now…and Castillo will be more expensive in prospect cost than he’s worth.

Knowing Hahn, he will probably try to fix Kelenic’s swing instead.  Or move him to second base.

Edited by caulfield12

Look, I think they need to be sellers. One victory against Minny shouldn't trick them into thinking this team is a contender.  It's not.  They have a system with 15 decent prospects in it.  They shouldn't trade 3 of them to get 1.5 years of control of a pitcher.  But that's my opinion. RH knows better.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

So how much of the meager farm are they going to mortgage in a desperate attempt to go for it?  Instead of addressing any of the root causes for their struggles?  

Ramos, Thompson, Dalquist, and probably Yolbert all look like likely trade chips.

The biggest concern is Hahn senses his job is in potential jeopardy and empties out the remainder of the farm to make a desperation run for it in 2022-23 (see 2016)…not looking at the long term consequences of his moves.

It’s going to be one of the most dire situations in JR franchise history if they were to somehow miss BOTH of these next two postseasons with expanded playoff fields.

Right now, their best hope for 2023 is that Carlos Correa goes elsewhere.  And that’s not saying much, because Jeremy Pena, his replacement, has been even better for the Astros without even factoring in salary.

For this season, both NY teams, Houston and the Dodgers seem like locks to be in the World Series.  Things will open up again if/when Judge goes somewhere like Seattle.

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

Ramos, Thompson, Dalquist, and probably Yolbert all look like likely trade chips.

There's been a lot of talk on this board that Ramos has to be on the 40 man after this year, I'm not sure that's accurate.  My understanding of the rule is that players under 18 have to be protected 5 years after their signing date.  Ramos and Rodriguez were both signed in the summer of 2018.  The Rule 5 draft is going to be in the winter of 2022.  Do they have to be protected from that draft?

As I said before, I wouldn't trade any prospects for anybody to fortify this sucky team, but even if I did, Ramos and Thompson are guys I would hold on to.  If they think Veras can stick at 3rd, I can see where they may think Ramos is expendable, I just wouldn't do it personally. Especially for Chris Drury.

1 hour ago, wegner said:

In my head, I know that I have to get rid of this kind of thinking but in my heart Schwarber helped the Cubbies win a World Series so FUCK HIM.

How do you feel about Len Kasper doing Sox games??

Edit - I had similar feelings when Schwarber hit FA, but quickly got over it oddly enough.  I loathe the Cubs but Rizzo is probably the only of the "stars" they let go that I wouldn't want.  It's not exactly rational I do admit.

Edited by Tnetennba

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You might also add Sosa and Colas to that list.  Just a hunch there.

This is what I'm afraid of.  The farm is pretty barren, but I fear they go all KW to bolster a flawed roster in a desperate attempt to make a run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

How do you feel about Len Kasper doing Sox games??

I actually like Kasper...he is a professional.  I loved his call of Timmy's game winner in Iowa...I listened to that numerous times.

Now if Len would have been a late game clutch pinch hitter for the Cubbies....I would say FUCK HIM too.

• Haha 1