Burger To Marlins

DirtySox

39 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I'm wondering if people wouldn't give two shits about Jake Burger if Yoan Moncada weren't also involved.

Yoan fans feeling sensitive today? Yeah I don't think the casual fan that has embraced Burger and loves home runs (rightfully so) gives a s%*# about Moncadas involvement here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Yoan fans feeling sensitive today? Yeah I don't think the casual fan that has embraced Burger and loves home runs (rightfully so) gives a s%*# about Moncadas involvement here.

Not sure who's more hurt, but I feel like one SoxTalk forum requirement is that you either have to be 100% pro-Yoan or 100% anti-Yoan. There is no in between.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Moncada is the third rail type for certain fans. Got a contract he probably doesn't deserve, likes to party and isn't shy about it, is frequently hurt and so on. I don't really get angry at individual players any more I'm too old for that, blame the dude that signed him to that deal and traded for him.

I wouldn’t care about any of that if he was still actually good 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I don't see how Yoan has anything to do with the issue of whether or not they should have traded Jake Burger.  

• Like 2

I mean the Yoan/Burger arguments have been going on almost the entire season. Not sure why it’s surprising that they would come up again in this thread where people are giving their take on the trade based on how they value Burger as a player.

People are too harsh on this on both sides.

Jake could hit the ball harder than pretty much every other player in baseball. And in the air.

If he can make incremental progress on walks he can greatly increase his value.

For that, the Sox got a really great pitching prospect.

This board loves comps that exclusively live in the white Sox world…and I can see this being a Brandon McCarthy for Johnny Danks swap.

From MLB.com today reviewing the deal just FYI:

Of course, that the White Sox were willing to trade a feel-good success story who can’t be a free agent until after 2028 tells you a little something, and there’s no shortage of red flags here; he’s a below-average fielder; his .279 on-base percentage is well below-average; he’s hit .173/.253/.470 over the last two months. Throw in a 32% strikeout rate and he’s the Anti-Marlin in lot of ways, which isn’t a bad thing given their total lack of power, but it’s also possible that the White Sox viewed this as found money, turning a pre-season question mark into a well-regarded 24-year-old Double-A starter who could be in Chicago as soon as next year.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, YonderLaroche said:

2023 Burger 》2022+ Moncada.  Fun fact big brain Hahn wanted Benitendi and Jackie Bradley over Yoan and Kopech.  So I guess it could be worse 

I don't remember wanting Bradley. Either way Benintendi and Bradley have out WAR'd Moncada and Kopech since the trade.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, YonderLaroche said:

2023 Burger 》2022+ Moncada.  Fun fact big brain Hahn wanted Benitendi and Jackie Bradley over Yoan and Kopech.  So I guess it could be worse 

Not surprised. Fire him ex post facto.

• Like 1

All other things being about equal in terms of W/L, home runs absolutely add to fan interest and draw fans into the park.  '77 SS Hitmen were a good example as well as the '83 Sox with Fisk, Luzinski, and Kittle. People who were around back in those ancient times still fondly remember those teams, roof shots at the old park, etc.

No way I trade Burger for an arm. Another thing about Burger. Unlike AV who is station to station when he gets on base, Burger and Eloy have some speed and can leg out some doubles.  I don't know if anyone else noticed but AV looks like he boxed out a bit, especially from the waist down and he seems to be wearing a bigger shoe size.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, tray said:

All other things being about equal in terms of W/L, home runs absolutely add to fan interest and draw fans into the park.  '77 SS Hitmen were a good example as well as the '83 Sox with Fisk, Luzinski, and Kittle. People who were around back in those ancient times still fondly remember those teams, roof shots at the old park, etc.

No way I trade Burger for an arm. Another thing about Burger. Unlike AV who is station to station when he gets on base, Burger and Eloy have some speed and can leg out some doubles.  I don't know if anyone else noticed but AV looks like he boxed out a bit, especially from the waist down and he seems to be wearing a bigger shoe size.

Didn't the 1983 team...win the division?

Didn't the '77 team...win 90 games?

57 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Of course, that the White Sox were willing to trade a feel-good success story who can’t be a free agent until after 2028 tells you a little something, and there’s no shortage of red flags here; he’s a below-average fielder; his .279 on-base percentage is well below-average; he’s hit .173/.253/.470 over the last two months. Throw in a 32% strikeout rate and he’s the Anti-Marlin in lot of ways, which isn’t a bad thing given their total lack of power, but it’s also possible that the White Sox viewed this as found money, turning a pre-season question mark into a well-regarded 24-year-old Double-A starter who could be in Chicago as soon as next year.

Because it's the Sox I expect him to basically turn into JD Martinez over the 2nd half of his career. His statcast data is pretty incredible. If he ever does figure out some plate discipline he could be what Eloy was supposed to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I guess I understand the trade if they did their homework on it. But the failure to choose a lane overall is the remaining problem. Contending in ‘24 ffs. Really? Straddling the fence means your balls get splinters.

2 hours ago, almagest said:

Kim Ng on the Marlins broadcast and mentioned knowing KW for years when asked about how deals come together. Did not mention Rick Hahn.

Probably looking too much into that. She worked in the Sox front office with KW, never with Hahn. She could just be referencing that previous relationship with the Sox organization and people there. I don’t recall her specifically saying she worked with KW on the trade. 

Burger got 2 hits and a walk in the Marlins win tonight.  Made good contact. Good defense.  Showing energy. I still don’t like this trade.  Burger has been improving, and we need sluggers in our team.  Burger interview after the game said he liked the Marlins clubhouse energy and the feeling that they are never out of the game, and he was warmly welcomed.  I think this was a dig at the Sox clubhouse in a way.

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Burger got 2 hits and a walk in the Marlins win tonight.  Made good contact. Good defense.  Showing energy. I still don’t like this trade.  Burger has been improving, and we need sluggers in our team.  Burger interview after the game said he liked the Marlins clubhouse energy and the feeling that they are never out of the game, and he was warmly welcomed.  I think this was a dig at the Sox clubhouse in a way.

Couldn’t be less shocked. Every behind the scenes story is about how awful the clubhouse has been for a few years now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Couldn’t be less shocked. Every behind the scenes story is about how awful the clubhouse has been for a few years now.

Of course the FO prioritizes sending off good vibe players like Burger instead of the cancers. Isnt this why KW employs Boston? For the clubhouse scoop?

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

• bmags unpinned this topic