After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

Just now, Tony said:

Problem with that is...it takes two people for that to work. I believe the organization, even without Kenny/Rick, has such a bad reputation, someone from a "good" organization would rather stay put and wait for the right opportunity instead of signing up for the Jerry Reinsdorf Experience. There is too much history, with multiple professional sports organizations, that tells you the core is rotten. 

According to the Rosenthal column, most execs he spoke to consider it a sleeping giant, and one of the better GM jobs in baseball. You have to try to get fired. You play in the worst division in baseball. And you can outspend everyone in your division.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

According to the Rosenthal column, most execs he spoke to consider it a sleeping giant, and one of the better GM jobs in baseball. You have to try to get fired. You play in the worst division in baseball. And you can outspend everyone in your division.

I agree that the Sox are a sleeping giant....but they won't wake up until Jerry sells. Hopefully, he doesn't sell to someone that sees the business of baseball similar to himself. I could possibly see that being a condition of sale. 

They have to start fighting the Cubs for market share, something that JR has never done. 

Edited by baseballgalaly
  • Like 3

If this is true it would be absolutely insane but typical White Sox and would fly in the face of an individual who had dinner with JR last Wednesday and said they'd be surprised if either Getz or Haber retained their jobs.

This would be so White Sox. 

All I'll say is I've heard differently, on multiple occasions, from people I very much trust. 

With a competent GM, with the money the Sox have spent over the last 7 years, they would be close to what the Braves are imo, but a structure needs to be built from the ground and that was never done, not in my lifetime

Hahn was so unqualified for this and so was Kenny.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

All I'll say is I've heard differently, on multiple occasions, from people I very much trust. 

i still maintain that the power of position trumps that feeling, and a lot of guys can't time stuff that well. Again...the orioles have a horrible owner. He pulled Elias from the astros and half the astros front office came with him.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

i still maintain that the power of position trumps that feeling, and a lot of guys can't time stuff that well. Again...the orioles have a horrible owner. He pulled Elias from the astros and half the astros front office came with him.

I think you can seriously wonder if a new GM/President would have the opportunity/budget to employee those people. Do those positions exist with the Sox? Didn't a report come up a few weeks ago that the Cubs had close to 80 analytic employees, and the Sox have around 20? 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I think you can seriously wonder if a new GM/President would have the opportunity/budget to employee those people. Do those positions exist with the Sox? Didn't a report come up a few weeks ago that the Cubs had close to 80 analytic employees, and the Sox have around 20? 

The baltimore orioles in the 2010s didn't even bother to use their international allotment in order to save the money. The idea that it was a significantly different kind of org than the sox at the time of that hire is incorrect.

I think it’s very safe to say that Jerry Reinsdorf does not know baseball. He may think he does but has no freaking clue how to build a successful organization. It sounds cliche af but the ONLY hope for this organization is when Jerry sells, he’s truly incapable of doing this correctly. 

• Thanks 1

Waiting for a national reporter to say something about the head of baseball ops search beginning for the Sox.  No one else has said a word except Bruce Levine saying Getz would remain in his role.  But that was yesterday...and it's Bruce Levine who can't even be bothered to type the "ite" in White Sox in his posts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

My stance on the White Sox is that they have a fixed budget and can do with it as they wish but are beholden to JR at he end of the day on major decisions.

It is the mindset of KW and Hahn to spend their budget foolishly. I can't see JR being against building up a scouting and development department and losing out on the overpaid free agent.  This feels like the JR model he has spoke about recently and would like.  The Tampa and Baltimore models are what he wants.

Hopefully he finds a baseball mind that sees it this way as well.

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Waiting for a national reporter to say something about the head of baseball ops search beginning for the Sox.  No one else has said a word except Bruce Levine saying Getz would remain in his role.  But that was yesterday...and it's Bruce Levine who can't even be bothered to type the "ite" in White Sox in his posts.

Bob gave the kiss of death already my friend. Dayton Moore is your next president of baseball ops and Chris Getz is the GM

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

I already said this but 100% this is just denying he was given any sort of new title...because he already was a consultant on the sox. He moved into the FO this offseason, we already knew that in spring training.

So LaRussa knew Hahn and KW had to be overruled by JR to get rehired as manager.  Then he becomes a FO consultant.  JR conducts "internal interviews" (gee, I wonder with whom?) and it's decided that Hahn and KW need to be fired.  Then the rumors begin that the replacement is someone TLR  thinks highly of.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

The baltimore orioles in the 2010s didn't even bother to use their international allotment in order to save the money. The idea that it was a significantly different kind of org than the sox at the time of that hire is incorrect.

This is why Garfein suggesting Dan Duquette because of his time with the Expos, Red Sox and Orioles baffles me.

16 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Why did Bob report that they were installing someone by the end of the year (this was yesterday)

And the very next day suggests that theyve already decided who they're picking

like wtf? 

I like to hope these are just trial balloons being floated to see the reaction from the fans and baseball people JR knows. But that's just hope. JR's history suggests he very much thinks these are the moves to get the Sox on the "right" path.

• Like 1

JR is pushing 90 yrs old. He is not changing or caring about anyone else opinion. That is how 99% of old people are. They aren't interested at all in any kind of change. He is definately looking to sell the team and he was forced to fire RH and KW because he was convinced that keeping them would not allow him to get the maximum amount of money for the team. And money rules his world. 

If this Getz hire comes about all Sox fans need to cancel season tickets if they have them. They need to not support the team in any way until JR is no longer the owner. I'm a life long Sox fan. It will be hard and it will suck. But I'm done supporting an owner who could care less about me as a fan and could care less about winning. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The Royals caught lightning in a bottle by having 7 prospects all hit at once, turning it into a single two-year window that interrupted a four decade run of total ineptitude. 

28 teams saw this and realized it was a shitty way to try to build a winner.

The White Sox have been trying to emulate it, in every way, ever since.

Concentrating all of your assets and resources into a single group of players, at the expense of investing in an actual pipeline, and as an excuse for not investing in obtaining elite players from other available means, is the clearest and most transparently dumb way to try to win that has existed in MLB in my entire lifetime.

Jerry Reinsdorf appears to be on the cusp of doubling down on it yet again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP