After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

I may be naive but I truly believe Getz Haber and Grifol are lame ducks. The President of Baseball Ops has to make those decisions, that was the dysfunctional arrangement before with no clear lines of authority, clubhouse snitches, blind loyalties, etc. Those factors are what breeds a bad culture. JR is stubborn but he is not stupid. I hear he is tired of this and wants to remove himself. And I don't believe that Dayton Moore is or will be the answer. You talk to White Sox insiders and these are some of the outcomes that lead to the disappointing seasons and JR is very aware, conforms what Lips sources have said. Again, I'm probably too much of an optimist but I dont think its White Sox business as usual. These were significant long overdue changes and I think there are more "surprises" to come. A new Prez of baseball operations will bring his own GM in. It won't be Getz.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

87 year old Jerry Reisndorf is relying on the 78 year old Tony La Russa to make the best determination on how his baseball team should be run in 2023 and beyond. 

Let's stop pretending Jerry Reinsdorf is a completely logical and rational person that makes sound decisions based on logic. 

Rick Hahn has been here for literal decades. The Sox cut their old school scouting budget but then turned out they spent nothing on analytics, tech or new school techniques. Hahn was a bot, which makes all the Hahnbots that much more understandable. 

15 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This is the same source (one of six) who helped provide detailed factual info for my State of the Sox story this past November who has been associated with the Sox for 30 years.

Name me someone who DID have a clue about the firings and reported it before the news broke yesterday.

Now as posted people in the media are saying the reports of Getz/Moore are wrong. 

I asked them about the reports today, and here is the response:

"This would be very surprising to me based on what I know. As you well know, sometimes teams use writers to get a sense of fan reaction and other media on who they may hire or trade for. I certainly hope this is one of those cases. From what I am hearing, fan reaction to Getz and sports talk radio is not very favorable for Getz. 

So you're saying there's a chance.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, palehose1 said:

I may be naive but I truly believe Getz Haber and Grifol are lame ducks. The President of Baseball Ops has to make those decisions, that was the dysfunctional arrangement before with no clear lines of authority, clubhouse snitches, blind loyalties, etc. Those factors are what breeds a bad culture. JR is stubborn but he is not stupid. I hear he is tired of this and wants to remove himself. And I don't believe that Dayton Moore is or will be the answer. You talk to White Sox insiders and these are some of the outcomes that lead to the disappointing seasons and JR is very aware, conforms what Lips sources have said. Again, I'm probably too much of an optimist but I dont think its White Sox business as usual. These were significant long overdue changes and I think there are more "surprises" to come. A new Prez of baseball operations will bring his own GM in. It won't be Getz.

I hope you’re right. I just don’t see it. If there’s one constant to being a Sox fan it’s that you will always be disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Honestly about as bad as it gets. And as exuberantly JR as it can get.

The man just wants best friends and to gleefully hate the people who love this team:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/08/23/white-sox-changes-gm-chris-getz-dayton-moore/70656755007/

Absolutely pathetic if this happens.  We are failing because we are so insular and we’re now going to hand the keys of the ship to an internal guy?  Our player development has been bad under Getz and that won’t change with him elevated?  About the only outcome I could come up with that doesn’t actually move the needle forward.

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

87 year old Jerry Reisndorf is relying on the 78 year old Tony La Russa to make the best determination on how his baseball team should be run in 2023 and beyond. 

Let's stop pretending Jerry Reinsdorf is a completely logical and rational person that makes sound decisions based on logic. 

I wonder if he calls him kid. 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

So this story seems like it was made up. Definitely just Hahn leaking s%*# because he knows Bob will run with anything he says. I hate him.

Who is the “him” that you hate or is it more of a fill-in-the-blank for Sox employees.

10 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Getz is nothing but a status quo hire, he like Grifol are not qualified to be in their current job!

That's JR's MO.  He always hires people for positions that nobody else would hire them for.  That's how he gets their loyalty, because they know without JR they would never be in an equivalent position.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Stone might be a good advisor to JR.  Not a GM candidate, but he checks my boxes on knowing the game and its people and having JR's ear. Hope he's part of the mix.

Maybe I missed it but, no Stone on the TV broadcasts. Where is he?

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I really doubt JR hires a President of Baseball Operations. He refused to give KW that title.

Agree to disagree. May not be that exact title but clearer lines of authority will need to be drawn. Owner gets input provides budget, Top baseball guy sets the direction and works with GM to execute. Sox had some unhealthy overlaps and an owner who meddled too much. That's the biggest question, will Jerry truly step away and not pull a TLR or pit KW vs RH etc. I have two contacts affiliated or were formerly affiliated with the team that have good relations with JR and have  supported variations of this and that JR has "hit the wall" with the recent deaths of his wife and son and the weight of the last two failed seasons is really weighing on him. Not specific transaction details but similar themes. I hear that a new investment group would transfer his financial ownership to his son helping avoid capital gains taxes which is the biggest impediment to a sale. Ideally Michael R would be a financial owner on the Board but not managing director like JR is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Might sound dark but

I am surprised some crazy Sox fan hasn't assassinated Jerry at this point. He makes this fanbase miserable and gives zero fucks

Way over the top dude. Stop.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NCsoxfan said:

Reinsdorf couldn’t be this stupid, could he? It’s almost laughable to suggest Getz let alone hire him after this debacle. 

He isn’t stupid but he is 87 years old, stubborn to actual change, and completely tone-def. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

He isn’t stupid but he is 87 years old, stubborn to actual change, and completely tone-def. 

I don't care how successful you are, at 87 your mind has slowed considerably and moreover your thought process is extremely rigid.  Old dogs really can't learn new tricks. Maybe at 67, but 87? No way. He is what he is. I really do believe he thinks that the guys he has on hand like Getz might be the solution.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Jerry hired Tony…he is stupid

Considering how much money he’s made he’s definitely not stupid, he’s just completely tone def and doesn’t either realize or care how much bad taste is in our mouths now and will remain with these 2 as the hires. 

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP