MLB Trade Rumors - Chicago White Sox Offseason Outlook - by Tim Dierkes

South Side Hit Men

38 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

To me, 2024 is the year to put Sosa and Colas out there and find out whether or not they're for real.

Struggle through a .150 April? So what, keep playing them.

Start Montgomery in AAA and bring him up midseason if he's crushing it.

Trade Eloy if you can get anything for him.

Put all your free agent dollars this offseason into pitching. Figure out what positions you need to upgrade next offseason.

Why spend on short-term pitching then?

3 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

To me, 2024 is the year to put Sosa and Colas out there and find out whether or not they're for real.

Put all your free agent dollars this offseason into pitching. Figure out what positions you need to upgrade next offseason.

Both Sosa and Colas were disappointing last season but going into 2024 for some reason I feel better about Sosa than Colas.

3 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

That's a possibility. Nice post. ... My deal was if we acquire a batch of veterans (votto, salvy, merrifield) or youngssters not that good (massey) to fill an everyday lineup, it won't cost the Sox that much loot. But I sort of like your idea to spend money on pitching pitching and only pitching cause of those younger bodies you mentioned who could play in the field.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

Why spend on short-term pitching then?

First- obviously Getz will fail.

However - hiring bannister/katz as a duo should indicate a team that can unlock free agent pitchers like the Giants do. This year should be them figuring out if that is true. That’s like the one thing they can accomplish.

The offense next year may be worse than the As this year. Possibly worst ever.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2023 at 10:06 AM, DirtySox said:

Part of me wonders when they start seriously listening on Robert. 

Getz said there are no untouchables.  I can’t even fathom what it would take to deal him away and how many teams actually have the prospect currency to get a deal done.  But at minimum you listen and see if another team is willing to do something stupid, although there are only so many Preller’s out there willing to pay a significant prospect price to get true impact talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Stop talking about what your kids think to illustrate your point.  That’s what us message board posters do.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Yeah, Chris, nobody gives a f*** who your kid’s favorite player is in relation to roster moves. 

Eh among the 10,000 other things the Sox are lacking, personality is one of them, so I don’t mind it. It beats Hahn’s lawyer speak and Grifol saying anything at all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Snopek said:

Eh among the 10,000 other things the Sox are lacking, personality is one of them, so I don’t mind it. It beats Hahn’s lawyer speak and Grifol saying anything at all.

FWIW - Grifol also said "I don't like the team either" yesterday as well.

But yes - generally, Grifol says nothing at all. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

FWIW - Grifol also said "I don't like the team either" yesterday as well.

But yes - generally, Grifol says nothing at all. 

Grifol is the biggest “yes” man I’ve ever seen in a manager. So of course if the GM says he doesn’t like the team he is going to agree. Would feel 1000 percent better with this organization if he was part of the ongoing Getz gutting that is taking place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 5:53 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

You realize by taking a “pass” on Conforto, we are now stuck with an ever worse player on a 4/$64M deal.  I wish an $18M option was the only headwind left.

The Sox passed on plenty of others besides Comforto. Plenty of young LH OFers have been available the last couple of years through trades. It's usually a good portion of my posting in the off season.

You didn't seem particularly supportive when one of my trade candidates was James Outman especially when I said although he was unranked he was a better guy to go after than ranked guys like Busch and Vargas I think it was. You thought I was crazy. 🤪

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Sox passed on plenty of others besides Comforto. Plenty of young LH OFers have been available the last couple of years through trades. It's usually a good portion of my posting in the off season.

You didn't seem particularly supportive when one of my trade candidates was James Outman especially when I said although he was unranked he was a better guy to go after than ranked guys like Busch and Vargas I think it was. You thought I was crazy. 🤪

You continue to say this without having any knowledge these guys were even available. It's kinda nauseating. 

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You continue to say this without having any knowledge these guys were even available. It's kinda nauseating. 

Do I need knowledge that players are available to suggest a trade ? If that's the criteria for suggesting trades then most who do it can expect you to censure them Some of them were actually traded or rumored to be available .Just from memory Daulton Varsho was traded and at some point the Orioles were said to be thinking about trading Anthony Santander. Kelenic might be been on the block too after repeatedly failing during his call ups. My main point was that Conforto would also have been a mistake and relating not signing him to the bigger mistake of signing Benintendi is  a stretch of logic. The Sox should have been looking for younger guys . Plenty were available and traded the last 2 years.

What's really nauseating is that very few here never realized that filling in the gaps with  middling FA's was never going to help the Sox when their farm system was not producing the cheap young talent.  The Sox needed to continue on a winning path should the core continue to keep being unproductive and injury plagued. Be it starting pitching or young LH hitting the Sox were failing miserably and that writing had been evident since the collapse in the 2nd half of 2021. Still most ( including me) believed that with a bit of health the Sox still might be able to contend with Moncada, Eloy, Vaughn and Robert and Cease having finished 2nd in Cy Young voting. But that never stopped me from saying they still needed to get younger not older.

If it makes you feel less nauseous you might also recall that since they never made a trade for a young LH OF I was full on broad with giving Colas his shot. Of course I thought he was ready but he wasn't and on top of that the Sox now seem like they are not enamored with him. So I am perfecting willing to say I was wrong there. However as a fan we aren't privy to knowledge that you seem to think I have to possess in order to have an opinion. I gather as much info as I have available in regards to players I'd like to trade for who would seem to fit the Sox needs. So sorry I don't live up to your standards that I should also know who is available before suggesting any trade.

I think your real point is that I continue to bring up Outman because I happened to be right about him and actually saying so breaks one of those macho rules about rubbing it in people's faces when it's perfectly fine for others to think I was nuts and make fun of my ideas at the time I was making those suggestions. Seems rather hypocritical to me.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do I need knowledge that players are available to suggest a trade ? If that's the criteria for suggesting trades then most who do it can expect you to censure them Some of them were actually traded or rumored to be available .Just from memory Daulton Varsho was traded and at some point the Orioles were said to be thinking about trading Anthony Santander. Kelenic might be been on the block too after repeatedly failing during his call ups. My main point was that Conforto would also have been a mistake and relating not signing him to the bigger mistake of signing Benintendi is  a stretch of logic. The Sox should have been looking for younger guys . Plenty were available and traded the last 2 years.

What's really nauseating is that very few here never realized that filling in the gaps with  middling FA's was never going to help the Sox when their farm system was not producing the cheap young talent.  The Sox needed to continue on a winning path should the core continue to keep being unproductive and injury plagued. Be it starting pitching or young LH hitting the Sox were failing miserably and that writing had been evident since the collapse in the 2nd half of 2021. Still most ( including me) believed that with a bit of health the Sox still might be able to contend with Moncada, Eloy, Vaughn and Robert and Cease having finished 2nd in Cy Young voting. But that never stopped me from saying they still needed to get younger not older.

If it makes you feel less nauseous you might also recall that since they never made a trade for a young LH OF I was full on broad with giving Colas his shot. Of course I thought he was ready but he wasn't and on top of that the Sox now seem like they are not enamored with him. So I am perfecting willing to say I was wrong there. However as a fan we aren't privy to knowledge that you seem to think I have to possess in order to have an opinion. I gather as much info as I have available in regards to players I'd like to trade for who would seem to fit the Sox needs. So sorry I don't live up to your standards that I should also know who is available before suggesting any trade.

I think your real point is that I continue to bring up Outman because I happened to be right about him and actually saying so breaks one of those macho rules about rubbing it in people's faces when it's perfectly fine for others to think I was nuts and make fun of my ideas at the time I was making those suggestions. Seems rather hypocritical to me.

Who would the Dodgers have even wanted for a guy like Outman? Dodgers were pretty thin in the OF and needed him. Why would they deal him for nothing? Don’t really match up now and likely not last year. You can’t just say “we should trade for this guy” like we’re some team that has a bunch of guys that teams would want.

Varsho is a terrible example as Diamondbacks received a top catching prospect and an MLB OF’r. Sox couldn’t do a deal like that a year ago.

Easy to suggest what guys should be traded for but you conveniently leave off who you would offer up from the Sox. Hmmm

Edit: I'll give you props on Stone Garrett since that dude could have been signed as a free agent (of course, after 29 teams passed on him without claiming him).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

16 hours ago, Snopek said:

Meh. This rings just as hollow to me.  Personality is great and all, but all of the personality in the world isn’t fixing this mess.

18 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Getz said there are no untouchables.  I can’t even fathom what it would take to deal him away and how many teams actually have the prospect currency to get a deal done.  But at minimum you listen and see if another team is willing to do something stupid, although there are only so many Preller’s out there willing to pay a significant prospect price to get true impact talent.

You would have to receive at least 3 top 100 prospects (at least two in the top 30 or so).

• Like 1