Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

How is one of the top pitchers in the game at a ridiculously low price with extra control not worth top prospects?

He doesn't have a ton of control left that's part of it. He's also a good, but not elite SP. This is comparable to the Quintana deal imo except Q at the time was on a better contract.

Teams were never going to give up a MLB ready player (why would they, they are trying to contend by trading for Dylan) so I don't know why some are disappointed by that. 

I think this is a fine trade. They just removed the 10% chance he gets hurt and they get nothing, that's worth something in itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Taking the massive L here. 

Throw your tomatoes at ya girl. 

I think you and Balta were both saying the league would have to see Cease pitch to know if he was 2022 or 2023 Dylan Cease. They did, and we got a haul. Everybody's right. 

So I guess congrats that he moved at all?

One solid prospect, one guy outside the top 100 with promise, and a likely reliever is probably 1 more player than I thought he was worth, so I guess y’all can brag on that, but this is a far cry from what he was supposed to be worth.

Is Zavala Robert’s replacement?

• Like 2

Just now, caulfield12 said:
"That's a slightly painful trade, probably because I heard the (good) Cease news before I heard (the bad) who we gave up. Thorpe, Iriarte, Wilson, and Zavala. Thorpe is the tough one.

BUT.......we get Cease for two years, and our front four will match up with anyone. The Padres are a better team in 2024 than they were an hour ago."

go to gaslampball.com for Padres' fan reactions

Pass

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will be honest, I am surprised another team didn't beat this.  I probably would have went into the season with Cease vs this.

Getz had to have marching orders to get pitching. If multiple teams were hot after Cease, this is massively underwhelming. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

I feel like San Diego is just going to flip him at the deadline for Cowser and Mayo 

If Cease is traded at the deadline it will make this deal look horrid.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

For what it's worth, that site is ass

I don’t think it’s terrible. Some values are a bit goofy but it’s aligning pretty well on recent trades when I’ve checked it. A similar Orioles package value-wise would have been Kjerstad+Norby+Beavers. Also would have been slightly underwhelming imo but I know many Orioles fans would have been very pissed about giving up that much for Cease,

Sox drop to 20th in payroll at $125.0M with this move, before a potential Lorenzen signing and or the millions due if they convert Moustakas and or Pillar for the OD Roster.

Jerry has to be pleased to avoid an eight figure final Cease payment, in addition to Yoan and likely Eloy and Nicky Lopez dropping off the payroll to get them under $100M barring unexpected additions.

Under $130M payrolls - At 3/11/24 + Net Cease / Wilson trade

East Central West

• 18. Washington Nationals $129.6M
  • 19. Minnesota Twins $129.3M
  • 20. Chicago White Sox $125.0M
  • 21. Kansas City Royals $118.2M
  • 22. Milwaukee Brewers $107.6M
  • 23. Detroit Tigers $103.4M
  • 24. Tampa Bay Rays $98.3M
  • 25. Cleveland Guardians $98.0M
  • 26. Baltimore Orioles $96.3M
  • 27. Miami Marlins $96.2M
  • 28. Cincinnati Reds $89.8M
  • 29. Pittsburgh Pirates $83.6M
  • 30. Oakland Athletics $60.9M
Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So I guess congrats that he moved at all?

One solid prospect, one guy outside the top 100 with promise, and a likely reliever is probably 1 more player than I thought he was worth, so I guess y’all can brag on that, but this is a far cry from what he was supposed to be worth.

Is Zavala Robert’s replacement?

It appears you and Aly had the better of the argument.

Congrats.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sox drop to 20th in payroll at $125.0M with this move, before a potential Lorenzen signing and or the millions due if they convert Moustakas and or Pillar for the OD Roster.

Jerry has to be pleased to avoid an eight figure final Cease payment, in addition to Yoan and likely Eloy and Nicky Lopez dropping off the payroll to get them under $100M barring unexpected additions.

Under $130M payrolls - At 3/11/24 + Net Cease / Wilson trade

East Central West

• 18. Washington Nationals $129.6M
  • 19. Minnesota Twins $129.3M
  • 20. Chicago White Sox $125.0M
  • 21. Kansas City Royals $118.2M
  • 22. Milwaukee Brewers $96.2M
  • 23. Detroit Tigers $103.4M
  • 24. Tampa Bay Rays $98.3M
  • 25. Cleveland Guardians $98.0M
  • 26. Baltimore Orioles $96.3M
  • 27. Miami Marlins $96.2M
  • 28. Cincinnati Reds $89.8M
  • 29. Pittsburgh Pirates $83.6M
  • 30. Oakland Athletics $60.9M

All five Central teams lined up #19-25 lol.

You would never figure out the near hopeless one going by this.

• Hawk 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He doesn't have a ton of control left that's part of it. He's also a good, but not elite SP. This is comparable to the Quintana deal imo except Q at the time was on a better contract.

Teams were never going to give up a MLB ready player (why would they, they are trying to contend by trading for Dylan) so I don't know why some are disappointed by that. 

I think this is a fine trade. They just removed the 10% chance he gets hurt and they get nothing, that's worth something in itself.

i dont see why Thorpe isn't mlb ready, he has everything in his arsenal to succeed at the major league level now.  he isn't going to get better command, or throw any harder, call the kid up

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

How is one of the top pitchers in the game at a ridiculously low price with extra control not worth top prospects?

In the past few years, teams have been more and more reluctant to give up their top prospects as they watch the prices for top free agents skyrocket.

No top 25 guys?  I’m shocked!

Quantity over quality deal?  I’m shocked!

Received a ML player in the deal?  I’m shocked!

Didn’t get 2 top 100 guys(well FG has 2 of them, no one else I believe)?  I’m shocked!  

This deal is absolutely not close to anything any of you wanted or said you would get. 

You all jumped on me when I said you weren’t getting Mayo or Basallo. “how do you know”.  You jumped on me when I said you weren’t getting that level of prospect.

Reports were the Os offered the WS the Burnes deal plus another player. Who knows who that player was. I felt Beavers was possible but it was a guess. I can you guys preferring this deal because of youth and some upside. No issues with that but this deal isn’t really better. It’s just different.

Either way, i am glad you guys got to trade him and didn’t get stuck with an injury or something like that.   Zavala is the key to the deal imo. Thorpe should be a solid but likely unspectacular starter but Zavala has real upside.  Os have 4-5 similar offensive lottery tickets.  I do wish the Os had stepped up and challenged this offer but Thorpe is higher profile, at least for now, than McDermott and Povich and they may have needed that guy in the deal.

@Chicago White Sox I’m sure you aren’t happy but appreciate the conversation over on our board. 

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Haha 3
  • TLR 2

Just now, Sports Guy said:

No top 25 guys?  I’m shocked!

Quantity over quality deal?  I’m shocked!

Received a ML player in the deal?  I’m shocked!

Didn’t get 2 top 100 guys(well FG has 2 of them, no one else I believe)?  I’m shocked!  

This deal is absolutely not close to anything any of you wanted or said you would get. 

You all jumped on me when I said you weren’t getting Mayo or Basallo. “how do you know”.  You jumped on me when I said you weren’t getting that level of prospect.

Reports were the Os offered the WS the Burnes deal plus another player. Who knows who that player was. I felt Beavers was possible but it was a guess. I can you guys preferring this deal because of youth and some upside. No issues with that but this deal isn’t really better. It’s just different.

Either way, i am glad you guys got to trade him and didn’t get stuck with an injury or something like that.   Zavala is the key to the deal imo. Thorpe should be a solid but likely unspectacular starter but Zavala has real upside.  Os have 4-5 similar offensive lottery tickets.  I do wish the Os had stepped up and challenged this offer but Thorpe is higher profile, at least for now, than McDermott and Povich and they may have needed that guy in the deal.

Thank god we got your expert take on the deal! Can close the thread down now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic