DeJong to Sox

hogan873

Not sure if the Getz comments are tongue in cheek, but I’m pretty happy with the moves and comments so far. Obviously the Sox aren’t winning a ton of games in 2024, and DeJong could be here for a very short time, but at least they’re trying to bring in big leaguers that can help the roster. They aren’t going down the Colas route at multiple positions, and that’s a good thing. The Hahn/Williams rebuild is done. It failed. Now it’s Getz’s turn to try, like it or not. We’ll see if the team is good in 25 and 26.

Edited by flavum
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Not sure if the Getz comments are tongue in cheek, but I’m pretty happy with thE moves and comments so far. Obviously the Sox aren’t winning a ton of games in 2024, and DeJong could be here for a very short time, but at least they’re trying to bring in big leaguers that can help the roster. They aren’t going down the Colas route at multiple positions, and that’s a good thing. The Hahn/Williams rebuild is done. It failed. Now it’s Getz’s turn to try, like it or not. We’ll see if the team is good in 25 and 26.

I would rather the young guys get a shot again to see if anyone can be a contributor down the road. Let Popeye play 2B and Lopez at SS, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I don't understand the rationale behind signing Dejong and trading for Lopez and NOT giving a legit tryout to Sosa or Rodriguez.. Like... We KNOW DeJong and Lopez are garbage, let's see if either of our guys can be just as garbage.. but cheaper.

I get that, but on the other hand, Dejong and Lopez suck so much that if Sosa or JRod show any pulse in AAA, they'll have spots readily available.  Its not like DFAing DeJong and moving Lopez to a bench role is beyond the realm of possibility. I don't mind not just handing Sosa / Jrod the jobs. 

That said, this is all so disheartening. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Maybe, just maybe...The Sox are confident in acquiring a top 2B prospect in a Cease trade, and the Lopez acquisition and DeJong signing are stop gaps for said 2B prospect and Montgomery.

Yeah thats kind of my hope. 

Just a stopgap for most of a lost season and by 2025 we Jacob Gonzalez, Joey Ortiz or Michael Busch will be the 2B.

Or maybe Getz is dumb enough to believe Lopez/DeJong gives them "leverage" in trade talks. 

"Yeah, I don't need to take your deal bro, I can just play Nicky and Paul and we're good"

"Good for what, Chris? 55 wins...you got me bro"

LOL

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I get that, but on the other hand, Dejong and Lopez suck so much that if Sosa or JRod show any pulse in AAA, they'll have spots readily available.  Its not like DFAing DeJong and moving Lopez to a bench role is beyond the realm of possibility. I don't mind not just handing Sosa / Jrod the jobs. 

That said, this is all so disheartening. 

Agreed on all of that.  Dejong and Nicky aren't actually going to hold anyone back, we can get rid of those two at any point.  That said, I'm going to have a good time making fun of every one of these type of moves we make this offseason cause why not.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah thats kind of my hope. 

Just a stopgap for most of a lost season and by 2025 we Jacob Gonzalez, Joey Ortiz or Michael Busch will be the 2B.

Or maybe Getz is dumb enough to believe Lopez/DeJong gives them "leverage" in trade talks. 

"Yeah, I don't need to take your deal bro, I can just play Nicky and Paul and we're good"

"Good for what, Chris? 55 wins...you got me bro"

LOL

If these moves are a precursor to getting an mlb ready 2nd baseman for Cease (Busch, Ortiz) it makes a lot of sense. 2024 seems like it'll be a "kids can play" type season with a few vets filling in the holes in a bridge year, and honestly that's probably the best we can hope for in 2024. Either it will be nice to watch some quality defense, even if there's no offense.

53 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I don't understand the rationale behind signing Dejong and trading for Lopez and NOT giving a legit tryout to Sosa or Rodriguez.. Like... We KNOW DeJong and Lopez are garbage, let's see if either of our guys can be just as garbage.. but cheaper.

Because, Pedro?

• Like 1

“You are going to like this guy.”

- TLR

• 1.0 12/8/20 Lance Lynn (Saint Louis 2011-2017)
  • 2.0 1/15/21 Liam Hendriks (TLR Animal Shelter) - OK, he was right on this one, but no TLR baseball connection)
  • 3.0 3/30/21 Jake Lamb (Arizona 2014-2020)
  • 4.0 6/10/21 Brian Goodwin (Los Angeles Angels 2019-2020)
  • 5.0 7/10/21 Lance Lynn (Saint Louis 2011-2017)
  • 6.0 12/1/21 Leury Garcia (White Sox 2021)
  • 7.0 3/14/22 Joe Kelly (Saint Louis 2012-2014)
  • 8.0 4/12/22 A. J. Pollock (Arizona 2012-2018)
  • 9.0 11/??/23 Paul DeJong (Saint Louis 2014-2023)
Edited by South Side Hit Men

34 minutes ago, flavum said:

Not sure if the Getz comments are tongue in cheek, but I’m pretty happy with the moves and comments so far. Obviously the Sox aren’t winning a ton of games in 2024, and DeJong could be here for a very short time, but at least they’re trying to bring in big leaguers that can help the roster. They aren’t going down the Colas route at multiple positions, and that’s a good thing. The Hahn/Williams rebuild is done. It failed. Now it’s Getz’s turn to try, like it or not. We’ll see if the team is good in 25 and 26.

The thing is, Lopez and Dejong feel a lot like Elvis, Harrison, Rollins, Lawrie, Eaton (round 2), Pollock, etc.

And I have no faith in Mr. "Vets Don't Need Accountability" to actually play any young players over guys hovering at the Mendoza line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• bmags unpinned this topic