Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)

Buehrle>Wood

38 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

We are only classified as a big market team when it’s beneficial to Jerry’s bottom line. As far as spending goes….no way we are a big market team, Jerry cries poor 🤣🤣

Haven't we had payrolls in the top ten many years and even as high as fifth? 

No, JR and the Sox and for that matter, Ricketts and the Cubs are not cheap or foolish for not risking tremendous amounts of money on these mega player contracts

(including betting .7 Billion on a soon to  be 30 yr old Ohtani with 2 arm surgeries and 0 WS Titles )

In fact, more owners, including the perennial big players like the Yankees and Dodgers should do the same.  MLB needs a salary cap of some sort to finally harness this issue and achieve some kind or parity and competitiveness. Fan complaints about which owners spends and which do not have become an old axe to grind every year. Here things have devolved into cruel posts with questionable motives about JR being "cheap" and even wishing for his passing. It really has gotten to be ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, tray said:

No, JR and the Sox and for that matter, Ricketts and the Cubs are not cheap or foolish for not risking tremendous amounts of money on these mega player contracts

(including betting .7 Billion on a soon to  be 30 yr old Ohtani with 2 arm surgeries and 0 WS Titles )

In fact, more owners, including the perennial big players like the Yankees and Dodgers should do the same.  MLB needs a salary cap of some sort to finally harness this issue and achieve some kind or parity and competitiveness. Fan complaints about which owners spends and which do not have become an old axe to grind every year. Here things have devolved into cruel posts with questionable motives about JR being "cheap" and even wishing for his passing. It really has gotten to be ridiculous.

They are risking nothing. That's why you buy a sports franchise. You're guaranteed to bank.  It's a legal cartel. As for your 2nd point, there isn't a single part of another team spending money to win that makes me enjoy baseball less -- the Sox, sure? But the sport as a whole, hell no. There's no defending JR.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tray said:

This is either JR himself, Brooks Boyer or an NBCSN bot. 

• Haha 6

51 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I am no scout, but Yamamoto's Japanese league numbers are really similar to Daisuke Matsuzaka's 

Giving $300 million to a player who has never thrown a pitch in the MLB seems like playing with fire 

He already has nearly 1000 professional innings pitched by age 25, there has to be some concern with how a listed 5'10", 175 lb frame will hold up moving forward as a starter

He's better than Daisuke was. You're right to point out that we don't know what he is going forward, but this is the best combo of stuff and polish that's probably ever come over from NPB.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Ken Rosenthal has a story in The Athletic today explaining how baseball is not "broken" by the Ohtani signing and may in fact be headed for another renaissance. 

Also seeing tweets and articles from reporters about how we're supposed to be happy that Ohtani signed with a marquee team. Been a strange week for MLB reporters to say the least.

4 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Also seeing tweets and articles from reporters about how we're supposed to be happy that Ohtani signed with a marquee team. Been a strange week for MLB reporters to say the least.

Strange week for sure.  Go read this article from Bob Nightengale where he rips MLB insiders (including himself) for basically reporting anything that agents will share with them and even acknowledges how they then promote the final deals to help market the agents providing the oftentimes untrue info.  Cool that he is calling this out, but also completely hypocritical given he’s unlikely to change.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/12/10/shohei-ohtani-rumors-free-agent-mlb-reporters/71867634007/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

and may in fact be headed for another renaissance. 

Well, MLB has certainly "fixed" all the things that reporters were screaming about baseball - long games, different DH rules between leagues, so, of course, for reporters who get to retweet each others hot takes on their 2 hour games, it will be a renaissance. 

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

he rips MLB insiders (including himself) for basically reporting anything that agents will share with them

And does this "mystery team" who is in on every player even play any regulation baseball games? It's like playing Guts with the extra dummy hand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

He's better than Daisuke was. You're right to point out that we don't know what he is going forward, but this is the best combo of stuff and polish that's probably ever come over from NPB.

I do not doubt that he is a better "prospect" than Matsuzaka was at the time, but the numbers are pretty similar

Some club will assuredly back up the truck and give him an eight or nine year mega deal due to excellent performance in Japan and only being 25 years old. It is such a risky signing because you just do not know how a player will perform when moving overseas. A big market club likely does not care though.

Interesting to question if fans would hypothetically rather sign Snell or Yamamoto?

2 hours ago, tray said:

The problem is if you know your team will not spend big in free agency and they have a history of poor player development, then there is no hope. As a fanbase, if you have no hope for the product on the field, you begin to hope for a change in ownership to allow for hope for the product on the field.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Strange week for sure.  Go read this article from Bob Nightengale where he rips MLB insiders (including himself) for basically reporting anything that agents will share with them and even acknowledges how they then promote the final deals to help market the agents providing the oftentimes untrue info.  Cool that he is calling this out, but also completely hypocritical given he’s unlikely to change.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/12/10/shohei-ohtani-rumors-free-agent-mlb-reporters/71867634007/

How dare they do that instead of just tweeting out publicly available info with the word "fabulous" added.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

I do not doubt that he is a better "prospect" than Matsuzaka was at the time, but the numbers are pretty similar

Some club will assuredly back up the truck and give him an eight or nine year mega deal due to excellent performance in Japan and only being 25 years old. It is such a risky signing because you just do not know how a player will perform when moving overseas. A big market club likely does not care though.

Interesting to question if fans would hypothetically rather sign Snell or Yamamoto?

I wouldn’t even argue the numbers are all that similar. Daisuke was running ERAs in the mid-2 range the two seasons before he was posted, Yamamoto is on his third year in a row of low-1 range. Similar K/BB, but better WHIPs and two years younger to boot.

Given Snell’s poor peripherals, I’d take Yamamoto all day, despite Snell’s mlb track record. It helps that Yamamoto looked great in the WBC too. 

4 hours ago, tray said:

People cry the Dodgers and Yankees ruin baseball. People cried the past few seasons that the Mets and Padres were also ruining baseball.

• Never Padres World Series Championships. Played first games before the first moon walk.
  • 1986 Last time the Mets won a World Series. Ronald Reagan is POTUS.
  • 1988 Last Dodgers World Series Championship played at Dodgers Stadium. Ronald Regan still POTUS.
  • 2009 Last time the Yankees won a World Series. Shohei Ohtani (15) was starting sophomore year in high school.

25 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I wouldn’t even argue the numbers are all that similar. Daisuke was running ERAs in the mid-2 range the two seasons before he was posted, Yamamoto is on his third year in a row of low-1 range. Similar K/BB, but better WHIPs and two years younger to boot.

Given Snell’s poor peripherals, I’d take Yamamoto all day, despite Snell’s mlb track record. It helps that Yamamoto looked great in the WBC too. 

I think two worries I have is just the difference in baseball size and the pre-tacked ball of Japan. These things won't have monstrous effects, they will be marginal, but when you are paying a guy to be Gerrit Cole it'd be nice to know what he looks like with the same equipment.

Again, I don't think he's not special or a big prospect, just surprised if he gets the kind of contract a top pitcher would get. The lower risk from his age has other risks negating that.

• Like 1

https://japanball.com/articles-features/japanese-baseball-news/yoshinobu-yamamoto-the-greatest-japanese-pitcher-ever/

I would be more concerned about the numbers of pitches thrown at the Koshien/annual high school tourney in Osaka.

But that seems to be more of a concern with Sasaki.

Also has passed all the Olympic and WBC tests with flying colors...White Sox should be building their rotation around him like they supposedly offered to do with Masahiro Tanaka unless that was the typical JR non legit offer that was never going to be signed...done just to raise the hopes of fans like the SF Giants.

15 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Seaver and Pasqua played with the Sox during the JR regime which unfortunately is still with us.

I'm thinking of some other lefty hitter Veeck brought in, then. One of the few total busts. I thought it was Pasqua.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I don't think I'm gonna pay for mlb.com this year so that's a start for me.

As long as baseball generates 1 1/2 to 2 new subscribers for every Greg775...simply due to the signings of Ohtani, Yamamoto and Jung-ho Lee (S.Korea) alone, it will be a huge win for MLB and MLB International.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm thinking of some other lefty hitter Veeck brought in, then. One of the few total busts. I thought it was Pasqua.

Ron Blomberg

November 17, 1977 – In the wake of free agent defections by Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble, owner Bill Veeck signed infielder/DH Ron Blomberg to a free agent contract. Blomberg missed the previous two years with a severe leg injury but Veeck signed him anyway.

On opening day 1978 he’d hit a dramatic ninth inning game tying home run but he did very little afterwards. Making matters worse is that Veeck signed him to a guaranteed multiyear contract. Veeck turned his sights on him after Gamble took a last-minute offer from the Padres after the Sox thought they had a deal to keep him on the South Side.

• Balta1701 changed the title to Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)