ST Thread

pcq

On 2/18/2024 at 10:47 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Exactly.  If Getz can’t cut a guy like Scholtens loose for a 24 year old lefty outfielder with good minor league numbers, he’s doing the GM thing wrong.

I would have liked the Sox to have grabbed S-N. Fangraphs wasn't enamored in 2023:

Drafted: 4th Round, 2017 from Rockwall Heath HS (TX) (NYY)
Age 23.8 Height 6′ 0″ Weight 215 Bat / Thr L / R FV 35+
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
30/45 60/60 35/45 45/45 40/45 45

The older brother of Ohio State wide receiver phenom Jaxson Smith-Njigba, Canaan is another of the many prospects acquired from the Yankees for Jameson Taillon. The barrel-chested Smith-Njigba has huge strength-driven power and a patient approach that borders on passive. He has a career .387 OBP but hasn’t been able to actualize his plus raw power in games, driving the ball into the ground at a whopping 66% clip in 2021 and a 54% rate in 2022. His size creates some stiffness and imbalance during his swing, which can lead to him putting suboptimal contact in play. When Smith-Njigba takes a comfortable, max-effort hack, it’s obvious that he has big power, and his exit velo data reinforces the visual evaluation. In most cases, corner-only outfielders who play consistent big league roles have better actualized their raw power in games. Smith-Njigba’s on-base skills drive an above-replacement forecast here, but it’s tough to project a real big league role, and he may be an interesting candidate for teams in Asia.

On 2/19/2024 at 6:51 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

He’ll be 60-day IL’d soon. But yeah, it is kind of shocking he’s made it this far.

They guaranteed him $800k a couple months ago. I think he’s prob locked in, and like you said, can be ILd now anyway. 

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Hopefully his wrist is 100%. If he can get to 15 HRs along with maintaining a good AVG and OBP, we might be able to unload his contract (or most of it) at the deadline.

Hopefully for peanuts. I can’t imagine any team wanting to pay that guy 3+ years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Hopefully his wrist is 100%. If he can get to 15 HRs along with maintaining a good AVG and OBP, we might be able to unload his contract (or most of it) at the deadline.

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Hopefully for peanuts. I can’t imagine any team wanting to pay that guy 3+ years.

Beni is amazingly not even 30 yet.  I don't think its crazy the Sox could get someone to eat the deal if they prorated it down to like $13M AAV (call it Sox kicking in $10M).  That would obviously require Beni to have a very nice first half, tho.  I do think he is a much better player than we saw in 23. 

• Like 1

Does anybody know when this all prospect, cactus league game is supposed to happen? Or, if there's a few of them, when Colson is supposed to go? I couldn't find much info on it, other than apparently they are doing some sort of prospect series this spring.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

34 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Amed Rosario just signed for 1.5 million... Good thing we jumped on Paul Dejong for 3 million..

Aside from the $1.5 million payroll, I think the difference is negligible. DeJong is probably the more consistent defensive shortstop, right? Rosario's a little better with the bat. 

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Aside from the $1.5 million payroll, I think the difference is negligible. DeJong is probably the more consistent defensive shortstop, right? Rosario's a little better with the bat. 

Probably but Dejong got released twice last season and finished the year 12-93 with no walks and 34 strikeouts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I mean, last 3 years it's 5.4 fWAR vs. 1.7. but yes, DeJong has been a more reliable fielder. 

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I think Rosario would have been a bad fit with the Sox defense-first push. His D has fallen off a cliff. But the Rays are smart about how they use guys. I bet he ends up having a solid season playing all over the field, and they put him in situations where he succeeds. DeJong’s D is still solid, but his offense is so bad, his range of outcomes is like 2 WAR guy whose value is mostly glove to released by the middle of June. Should be interesting.

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Does anybody know when this all prospect, cactus league game is supposed to happen? Or, if there's a few of them, when Colson is supposed to go? I couldn't find much info on it, other than apparently they are doing some sort of prospect series this spring.

there is an all prospect game March 15th. Sox @ Cubs. Will be on Marquee

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Colson will play in normal Cactus League games too obviously, but I also assume he'll be starting in the "Spring Breakout" Sox vs. Cubs all prospect matchup which is March 15th.

They're doing a special reveal of the rosters on March 7th. More details here: https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-prospects-who-could-play-in-spring-breakout

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

I was actually kinda surprised that Yolmer didn't start a couple of years in a row at 2B, but I looked it up and he was OD starting 2B in only 2019.

Looks like they will be adding to this list at 2B and RF at minimum, with Eloy the only likely player to break the current streak.

GGyzSumX0AAsFuL?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/opening.shtml

Career White Sox bWAR White Sox Seasons

• 2B Gordon Beckham (2010-2013) 6.9 7 Seasons
  • DH Adam Dunn (2011-2014) -0.4 4 Seasons
  • RF Avisail Garcia (2017-2018) 6.4 6 Seasons
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Rosario is a terrible SS. 

• Like 2