Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

4 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Imagine making such decisions based on a single flukish best of 5 series.

Reality is it's not really based on that series. That series was a microcosm of the season. Rodon was finished, Lynn hadn't pitched well against the Astro's, not many trusted Cease, no one trusted Keuchel. Eloy was slumping , the Sox were bad on the road.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It seems hard to believe that TLR is not insisting upon creating better balance in the lineup, and if that is the case, J.R. would probably try to accommodate. If not Conforto, perhaps there is someone, in the last year, or two, before they reach free agency, whom Hahn could acquire, via a trade. Joey Gallo is the only one that comes to mind, and he is too flawed of a hitter to provide what the Sox need. Who else could be a candidate?

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t think this is really how transactions work in real life. Sox wouldn’t risk losing Conforto to another team over trying to negotiate a couple million out of the Kimbrel sweepstakes. 

Jimmy says Sox offered Conforto 4/$75M range. I’m sure Conforto is still trying to get 5/$100M Castellanos got. It’s a game of chicken right now waiting for someone to blink. Thankfully Sox don’t appear to have much competition. 

That should get it done.

To be honest, I think this will happen very soon.  

Also, for people worried about Vaughn not getting at bats, he will.  Vaughn can be used in the outfield and at 1st and at DH.  He should get close to 400 at bats.  Sheets should get at bats too.  And the opt outs allow for the White Sox to get to the point where maybe Vaughn is the starting Right Fielder and Sheets is the DH.  

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder if the team would have actually addressed their biggest needs had they simply not picked up Kimbrels deal. 

They would have pocketed those savings.

This is why I almost hope they can't move him now.  I rather take my chances in him being good again instead of Reinsdorf being $16 million wealthier.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

That should get it done.

To be honest, I think this will happen very soon.  

Also, for people worried about Vaughn not getting at bats, he will.  Vaughn can be used in the outfield and at 1st and at DH.  He should get close to 400 at bats.  Sheets should get at bats too.  And the opt outs allow for the White Sox to get to the point where maybe Vaughn is the starting Right Fielder and Sheets is the DH.  

Vaughn will be in LF full time by mid May when Eloy has his first date with the wall. Sooner or late they’ll learn he can’t play there and stay healthy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

was it really a fluke though? We were one of the worst teams when it came to launch angle which resulted in all the singles and double plays throughout the series. Our starters blew up. The bullpen decisions were questionable. It was a bad matchup and the Astros played well

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

So when Conforto and Manaea go elsewhere can we officially ride Jerry and Hahn out of town on a rail? 

They are lucky they didn’t do SoxFest this year and that JR doesn’t do public appearances. I always loved when there was a fan challenging KW or RH at the Q&A sessions so we could hear the “hummana hummana hummana” responses or lawyer speak. Maybe Parkins or Spiegel will join a press conference and ask RH a direct question about their lack of a SP or RF and the over emphasis of RP.

When the holes become a problem during the season, I’ll be glad to go to a game and hold a sign up that says “The money will be spent” when things are going poorly. It won’t matter, but what will matter is that this team’s ownership and executives don’t care to take this team to the next level with properly allocating resources, filling holes and making the moves necessary to win a championship.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

There was nothing flukish about what went on during the season against winning teams and how much they got their asses kicked against Houston in the playoffs.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

was it really a fluke though? We were one of the worst teams when it came to launch angle which resulted in all the singles and double plays throughout the series. Our starters blew up. The bullpen decisions were questionable. It was a bad matchup and the Astros played well

Starters blew up and Rodon couldn’t really go, which should have been a signal to management that they should have gotten actual starting pitching rather than stretching out relievers to try and fill the void. 

April 8 is coming and the fact is, there isn’t another starter here from Oakland. And there won’t be a right fielder signing, they are going into the season with a flawed team.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

If Story's home/away splits are indicative of how he will fair, away from that mile high Colorado air, the Red Sox just overpaid, "bigly". Maybe the "Green Monster" will help offset the heavier air disadvantage, and allow him to maintain some similarly great numbers, at home. Just seems like a lot of money, considering the question marks.

Players who hit in Colorado have a large disadvantage on the road. It's far more than a home field advantage. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Here last night. He did insinuate that he wasn’t sure if the offer was still on table. But it’s not like the sox have signed someone else to fill that need in the meantime. 

Been thinking about it all night. 

If you take the low-end of the offer, 72/4=18 (obviously this number might actually be lower for 2022 based on how contracts generally appreciate in value).

Then take that average and start subtracting the dollar amounts from the post-lockout additions, 18-(7+3+5.5)=2.5

This fits with the earlier narrative some people were pushing around that the Sox are tapped out. Of course, if you move Kimbrel, that number could increase dramatically depending on how much the Sox can save. Maybe there is still a chance they are able to get him, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. I also don't think this FO is that smart to be able to pull off anything that requires multiple steps or moving parts.

On 11/30/2021 at 5:26 PM, Polar Bear said:

They won't sign any other starter at 2B or RF (whichever they want Leury to start at).  

On 11/30/2021 at 5:34 PM, Polar Bear said:

Let's see who has egg on their face when Leury starts opening day.  Then after the all star break.   Then in the playoffs.   Cheap is cheap and they going cheap

Lots of guys eating egg so far.  Times winding down for the Sox and about 20 of you all 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

What was fluky about it? I guess the two regular season series were fluke as well?

Not only that but the Sox fattened up on 5 opponents Cubs, Orioles, Twins ,Reds, Tigers W 40 L 15. That means against the rest of baseball they were 1 game under .500. They played .500 against Cleveland and KC ,19-19.

At the All Start break they were AL best 19 above .500. 2nd half only 5 games above .500 with the Rodon fatigue. Sep 25 still 19 above .500 . Then a 6 game winning streak against Cleveland Detroit and Cincinnati from Sept 26th to Oct 2nd ,4 wins at home 2 on the road. So one hot streak otherwise .500 ball in the 2nd half.

No offense to James, but at this point he's likely being used as a mouth piece by the organization to claim they made a competitive offer and Conforto is asking for too much money. It's called the cycle of the White Sox offseasons on Soxtalk and the internet in general. It always goes this way.

Off-season starts and Sox appear to be aware of their needs
Sox fans tie them to marquee free agents at said positions of need
Speculation grows without any hard evidence
James or some other insider claims the Sox made a competitive offer, they then applaud the offer, and blame the player for asking for too much money
Player signs elsehwere for said "too much money."
Insiders and etc spread message that no one could expect the Sox to spend at that level, it's "too much money"
Off-season over

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not only that but the Sox fattened up on 5 opponents Cubs, Orioles, Twins ,Reds, Tigers W 40 L 15. That means against the rest of baseball they were 1 game under .500. They played .500 against Cleveland and KC ,19-19.

At the All Start break they were AL best 19 above .500. 2nd half only 5 games above .500 with the Rodon fatigue. Sep 25 still 19 above .500 . Then a 6 game winning streak against Cleveland Detroit and Cincinnati from Sept 26th to Oct 2nd ,4 wins at home 2 on the road. So one hot streak otherwise .500 ball in the 2nd half.

Also, take away all their wins and they were winless in those other games 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No offense to James, but at this point he's likely being used as a mouth piece by the organization to claim they made a competitive offer and Conforto is asking for too much money. It's called the cycle of the White Sox offseasons on Soxtalk and the internet in general. It always goes this way.

Off-season starts and Sox appear to be aware of their needs
Sox fans tie them to marquee free agents at said positions of need
Speculation grows without any hard evidence
James or some other insider claims the Sox made a competitive offer, they then applaud the offer, and blame the player for asking for too much money
Player signs elsehwere for said "too much money."
Insiders and etc spread message that no one could expect the Sox to spend at that level, it's "too much money"
Off-season over

You cannot possibly be serious about this.

• Thanks 3
  • Fire 1

JR needs to act like a major market team owner or sell. He will got give out anything over 100 mil to anyone under his watch. Getting to the point 2nd place every year is best for JR pocketbook.

Edited by Soxfest

• Quin locked this topic