Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

11 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I didn't envision building the most expensive bullpen in baseball and hoarding utility players who don't get on base coming into an offseason where we had needs at 2B/RF/SP. 

This was always the fear with Hahn that he doesn't have the balls to make the big move to put the team over the top.  It's easy to make a bad team average or an average team good but it's extremely difficult to make a good team great.  Hahn seems happy to improve in the margins rather than dropping his dick on the table to make this team great.  There's still a chance he does something but the longer this drags on the less optimistic I get.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FoxForce2 said:

I have no idea what the Sox would do with Moose.

1. Flip Keuchel for Moustakas and prospects.

2. Flip Moustakas for Hosmer and prospects.

3. Flip Hosmer, cash and prospects for Oakland pitcher

4. ???

5. Profit

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This was always the fear with Hahn that he doesn't have the balls to make the big move to put the team over the top.  It's easy to make a bad team average or an average team good but it's extremely difficult to make a good team great.  Hahn seems happy to improve in the margins rather than dropping his dick on the table to make this team great.  There's still a chance he does something but the longer this drags on the less optimistic I get.  

You still confident that Kimbrel is getting dealt or where is your head at there?

11 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yes, but the question I asked right after that is what I'm really curious about.

Vaughn 720.1 innings in LF -2 DRS 118 innings in RF -3 DRS

SHeets 82 innings in RF -2 DRS , 23 innings in LF  0 DRS

Castellanos  1123 innings in RF -7 DRS

Conforto 956.1 inning RF -4 DRS but he did have some hamstring problems that may have led to that because in the past he has never been in the negative in DRS in RF or LF

There's just not enough data to support any conclusion on your 2nd question. Castellanos bat if he was a Conforto level fielder fielder ( in any yr. but last yr) probably is 6.0 fWar but he had a career high 4.2 . He had never been above 3 fWAR prior to last year. If I had to guess the gap is larger between Castellanos and Conforto.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Just once I'd like to see the Sox SET the market instead of reacting to it. Who fucking cares if you overpay a guy by 10 million over the course of a few years? Just get it done, get the guys in camp and let's roll.

We did set the market.  We set it on utility players and relievers.

• Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

You still confident that Kimbrel is getting dealt or where is your head at there?

I don't think I've seen this offered yet, but where is Kimbrel right now (physically) while everyone else is arriving at camp? Haven't heard any indication that he's shown up.

To me that's an indicator that the team has communicated with him that they're actively working on a trade and that he'll be on the move soon anyway, no point in coming here.

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

I don't think I've seen this offered yet, but where is Kimbrel right now (physically) while everyone else is arriving at camp? Haven't heard any indication that he's shown up.

To me that's an indicator that the team has communicated with him that they're actively working on a trade and that he'll be on the move soon anyway, no point in coming here.

He’s there

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Just once I'd like to see the Sox SET the market instead of reacting to it. Who fucking cares if you overpay a guy by 10 million over the course of a few years? Just get it done, get the guys in camp and let's roll.

They did that with Grandal, if we're being fair. 

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

My sentiment on this off-season precisely. I've defended this FO in years past for missing on Manny/Harper/Wheeler/Springer etc, because either the team wasn't ready for those expenditure or we will get our guy eventually. 4 years after rebuilding our window is wide open and our needs are clear, yet we're still waiting to get the guy who will put us over the top. We were told the money will be spent, but it ended up being spent on decent complementary players (Grandal, Hendriks) or a bunch of mediocre, aging players (Keuchel, Eaton, Kelly, Harrison, etc.) because either JR won't commit to 9 figure deals or Hahn is just bad at what he does. Either way, the "finishing touches" being put on this team is nearing disastrous.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

Mind boggling to me how this is how the FO thinks will put them over the top. The bullpen is not why we got absolutely embarrassed in the playoffs. Overpaid C tier free agents arent going to overcome the better teams in the AL. This offseason so far is beyond disappointing. Other AL teams are getting better, you can argue we are worse. 

Time is ticking Hahn, you get way too much praise for the mediocre job you have done in the FA market.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't think they're related.  I think they're waiting for the reliever market to shake out and it looks like it's finally starting to happen.  

Thanks...that's disappointing.  LOL

You can't be serious:

Rick Hahn more or less said White Sox are done adding to 2B mix with Harrison. Mentioned Jake Burger among their 2B depth. Acknowledged that you can essentially never rule out Andrew Vaughn playing anywhere. LF and 3B sound like other spots for Harrison to see time
Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's gone. 

But what's the point if they aren't going to use the savings in a meaningful* way?

*And by meaningful, I mean using it in a way other that stuffing JRs pocket or spending it on multiple scrubs instead of one legit good player.