Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

This offseason is a disaster. Do any of the insiders know if they just didn’t read the market correctly or this was their plan all along. 

A couple times in late November they did say that they misread something about the market but were never clear about what. They have continued to insist that there is a market for Kimbrel the whole time, despite the lack of movement. 

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I wonder how much cash they got. Either way, the Reds make no sense. Miley is better than Minor and they let him go for free to save a few $. Now they trade for a lesser pitcher making the same $. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Eh, I wouldn't say Machado has been worth every penny, but Harper has. The thing with these mega deals is that the players need to produce a lot at the start so they can off-set the losses towards the end of the deal. If Machado isn't putting up 5-6 WAR every year for you until he's 30-31, it's hard to recoup a lot of that value in the later parts of the deal. So far Machado's had 2 really great months, one decent season, and one subpar season.

Yes, absolutely with these deals. He's worth 16.2 bWAR if you prorate 2020. He's still 29 though, if he puts up 4 war on average the next 3 years, and 2 WARs every year after, the contract would still have surplus value. And he should eclipse those numbers.

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

This offseason is a disaster. @Harold's Leg Lift, @Y2Jimmy0, @Pal Do you know if they just didn’t read the market correctly or was this their plan all along?

I would pump the brakes a bit until all possible targets are gone.  The “dream” scenario of trading Kimbrel for prospects, including them in a deal with Sheets for Manaea and then signing Conforto still exists.

• Love 1

Honestly I'd rather have Manaea than Montas.  He'd be cheaper, and he really fits what the team needs.  And he isn't an icky cheater pants, which is nice.  It would suck to trade for Montas then have him get busted again.

Add Manaea and Conforto, and we are set!  Too bad Conforto really feels like a dream.

Edited by turnin' two

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Honestly I'd rather have Manaea than Montas.  He'd be cheaper, and he really fits what the team needs.  And he isn't an icky cheater pants, which is nice.  It would suck to trade for Montas then have him get busted again.

I think there's also extension potential with Manaea. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

The rotation could use a lefty as well.

• Like 2