Sox sign 2B Josh Harrison (1 yr, 5.5M; club option; 1.5M buyout)

Whisox05

Just now, Tony said:

People will always get upset without knowing the big picture….with that said, it’s hard not feel like these are just the same old White Sox moves. 

The Sox were just ranked No. 2 in the MLB Power Rankings. Obviously that doesn’t matter in the least, but I bring it up as it at least shows the Sox are viewed by many as one of the best teams in the league. They are close….but history tells us they won’t put their best foot forward, but instead just “plug some holes” with guys like Josh Harrison, instead of bringing in a real difference maker. 

Time will tell, but I can understand the concern from folks. I’m just not ready to judge when there are still a ton of big bats on the market. 

Agreed, I don’t look this roster now compared to where they finished last year and feel like Hahn has spent money wisely 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I want a pitcher and a good one at that. What if the Sox went inverse and dealt Hendricks and kept Kimbrel. 

No thanks. Liam is a much better bet to produce than Kimbrel. Also, we'd be without a closer past next year if we traded Liam. 

Not that he's an uber prospect, but I really hope Yolbert Sanchez has a great spring training and makes the Sox think about it at 2B. I will say Harrison hustles his ass off abd is a great clubhouse guy.

But this is very disappointing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Agreed, I don’t look this roster now compared to where they finished last year and feel like Hahn has spent money wisely 

As long as they spend / make some good moves between now and start of season it doesn’t matter but if they go cheap - than they really have managed some of these moves really bad. Like 5.5 for Harrison is just not a good use of money for a team that plays things tight. I would rather use Burger and spend that extra money to get Bryant (and whatever scrub contract they will keep giving over the life of that Bryant deal). 

3 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

They’re not too dramatic but he’s better against lefties too.  Definitely a downer.

Like a lot of people alluded to in here, this signing is ok if we get a big bat for RF. Because honestly, you don't need a huge bat in the 9th spot. If Harrison can play solid enough defense at 2B and give you a wRC+ close to 100, that's good enough. If they go out and get a Castellanos or Conforto type to stabilize the middle of the order, it doesn't really matter who hits 9th. 

Edited by chw42

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

No thanks. Liam is a much better bet to produce than Kimbrel. Also, we'd be without a closer past next year if we traded Liam. 

I am just saying - if you could get something real good maybe it isn’t a bad thing In terms of this year. Don’t think Sox will do it and I love Hendricks. 

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Like a lot of people alluded to in here, this signing is ok if we get a big bat for RF. Because honestly, you don't need a huge bat in the 9th spot. If Harrison can play solid enough defense at 2B and give you a wRC+ close to 100, that's good enough. If they go out and get a Castellanos or Conforto type to stabilize the middle of the order, it doesn't really matter who hits 9th. 

Yup, I agree.  

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

1. Spilled milk 

2. one is already signed and one isn’t a 2B

3. take a look at the FA list

1. Was pissed off at the trade the moment I heard about it

2. Should have been aggressive for them.

3. It's not my job to deep dive 2b, but they could get creative in trades guys like idk Josh Rojas, Ketel Marte, Gavin Lux, Ryan McMahon, etc. etc. Josh harrison is almost guranteed to go the same route Mazarra, Eaton, Jimmy Rollins, and many other of these white sox moves go.

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

People will always get upset without knowing the big picture….with that said, it’s hard not feel like these are just the same old White Sox moves. 

The Sox were just ranked No. 2 in the MLB Power Rankings. Obviously that doesn’t matter in the least, but I bring it up as it at least shows the Sox are viewed by many as one of the best teams in the league. They are close….but history tells us they won’t put their best foot forward, but instead just “plug some holes” with guys like Josh Harrison, instead of bringing in a real difference maker. 

Time will tell, but I can understand the concern from folks. I’m just not ready to judge when there are still a ton of big bats on the market. 

What was the big move at 2B?  There isn't much on the market, and to trade for an impact 2B would have weakened the Sox elsewhere. 

The only big move I could see would have been to put Moncada back at 2B to make room for a strong hitting FA 3B.  No one seemed to pick up on that, however. And it's true that Moncada is a better 3B than he ever was at 2B.  We need Moncada's 2019 bat to return, so moving him likely also wouldn't have helped that chance.  

You don't need studs at every position to win a WS.  Whomever we had at 2B is likely going to be our 9th place hitter.  All we need is someone who's league average, and Josh Harrison has been that the last 2 years.

40 minutes ago, Sarava said:

You have a BWC like hatred for this guy. It's seriously bizarre. He's a fabulous young player. You dont have to mash lots of home runs to be a good baseball player. More at 10!

He doesn't steal bases. He's an average defender. Tell me what exactly Madrigal does other than poke singles?