Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

14 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think it's enough that where you can relegate SP to a close to MLB ready #4 type as the third piece in a trade. Someone like Knack or Povich. You've got to develop some of those guys you traded for. IMO, Nastrini and a fully healthy Eder should both be in the rotation. Bush is prolly a swingman.

We really need premium positional talent. They don't seem to like Colas and they really don't like Gonzalez per Harold. Montgomery may shift to 3B. 

If you can get BOTH a future mainstay RF and SS in one shot and play Ramos at 2B, you've solved alot of problems. 

Nastrini, Bush, Eder is not nearly enough man. Get a top 100 position player and top 100 arm in a deal.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

I wouldn't trade Cease for Atlanta's entire farm. We probably undervalue him. He's 1 year removed from finishing second in the Cy Young and still has ++ stuff. 

And he has two years of control, won't re-sign here and the White Sox will be bad next year. They'll get a lot in return. They need to move him though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Quin said:

Rodon also just, existed.

I forgot Rodon. 6. 

I appreciate your argument. Yes, they did try stocking up on arms, and Fulmer was drafted as a "close to ready" college arm. After Fulmer, Crochet and Vera were the first pitching prospects they brought into the system who came with any fanfare. Everybody else were just arms or projects. Arms they didn't have the apparatus to develop. 

Davis Martin is promising, both as a prospect, and as a newfound ability to develop lottery tickets from the 15th round. 

16 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I wouldn't trade Cease for Atlanta's entire farm. We probably undervalue him. He's 1 year removed from finishing second in the Cy Young and still has ++ stuff. 

But he also showed substantial weakening of his stuff last year, to the point that people were complaining about it in April and I was defending him saying "His fastball usually improves as the year goes on". Turned out in 2023 it didn't.

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I forgot Rodon. 6. 

I appreciate your argument. Yes, they did try stocking up on arms, and Fulmer was drafted as a "close to ready" college arm. After Fulmer, Crochet and Vera were the first pitching prospects they brought into the system who came with any fanfare. Everybody else were just arms or projects. Arms they didn't have the apparatus to develop. 

Davis Martin is promising, both as a prospect, and as a newfound ability to develop lottery tickets from the 15th round. 

I basically like highlighting every single thing they failed to develop.

Alec Hansen went nuclear in both senses of the word.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They'll get a lot in return. They need to move him though. 

I agree with you.

Cease doesn't present as being injured, or growing old. Every single team has faith in their ability to develop or fix a player with the upside of Cease. And when we see true projects on the free agent market getting multi-year deals for more than what Cease projects to make, whoever deals for Cease will pay for his upside. 

All you need is one yes, not 12. 

BOS would also be a good partner. 

Cease, Jimenez, Santos and maybe a bit of money on Jimenez deal for Anthony and Teel. 

And yes I know Santos had an injury issue, but he still has some value if their doctors pass him.

And if you want pitching you could turn around and deal Quero for a Top 100 SP after you acquire Teel. 

31 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

And he has two years of control, won't re-sign here and the White Sox will be bad next year. They'll get a lot in return. They need to move him though. 

Obviously they need to move him, but I'd want a Kings ransom. I'd even risk holding on to him until the deadline, if need be. I have no doubt that he'll rebound.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

BOS would also be a good partner. 

Cease, Jimenez, Santos and maybe a bit of money on Jimenez deal for Anthony and Teel. 

And yes I know Santos had an injury issue, but he still has some value if their doctors pass him.

And if you want pitching you could turn around and deal Quero for a Top 100 SP after you acquire Teel. 

im still reeling at BOS signing Teel before we could

47 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I agree - maximize now. I get it - he could improve his value with a strong 1st half of the year, however, I still think he's one year off Cy Young type season and is under control for 2 years at reasonable cost. Teams will pay for his peak or close to it now given the value in the control to a contender.  Well worth getting now than taking on the injury risk and potential production risk vs. maybe getting an extra 20% more return if he were to go out and totally ball out.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah that killed me too. And Harold says that after seeing him the team is very down on Gonzalez. 

Which is crazy to me as that is their job to know, when all I did was see a highlight package and was like WTF was this pick?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

But he also showed substantial weakening of his stuff last year, to the point that people were complaining about it in April and I was defending him saying "His fastball usually improves as the year goes on". Turned out in 2023 it didn't.

He pitched 7 less innings in 2023 than 2022 and had 13 less strikeouts. So his stuff is still plenty good. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, there really shouldn’t be a rush.

I think teams will overpay this winter once all the free agent chips officially fall. Anything less than two top 100 prospects should'nt even be considered. It's not like the White Sox have quality scouts in place to locate players deep in other organizations systems. They can't afford to screw this one up. Get Baltimore involved and see what happens...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Obviously they should take the best package offered, but ideally I think the two best players coming back for Cease should be a left handed hitting OF and a MLB ready SP as those are 2 of the most glaring needs at the moment.

Matz, Carlson and prospect for Cease and a reliever?

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Nastrini, Bush, Eder is not nearly enough man. Get a top 100 position player and top 100 arm in a deal.

While I don’t disagree with your main point, there are quite a few “interesting” arms in the system beyond those three.  Honestly, I don’t feel very good about the bats after Colson, Ramos, Quero, and maybe Gonzalez.  I think it’s far more likely we luck into a couple SPs that exceed our expectations than it is for a positional guy to come out of nowhere and be impactful.  And I can’t even imagine how devastating it would be to acquire a big SP prospect for Cease only for them to get injured and need a major surgery right away.  I’d rather keep attacking pitching via the draft where we can throw volume at it and have a stable positional core to build around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I believe he ranked 5th amongst qualified SP in Stuff+ last year

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic