If the Sox trade for Juan Soto we have a chance.

Jerksticks

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So Montgomery-Colas-Schultz-Vera plus Burger-Martin-Sheets get it done? I think I’d do it.

What if the Nats demand Cameletti?

Edited by wegner

This is just getting stupid now. If Jerry wants to go crazy for the first time since 1996, how about he cracks open that checkbook and throw a ridiculous offer to Aaron Judge this winter. And we get to keep our top 5 prospects, and Cease and Robert. Yay!

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

My favorite part is that no one commented something like "well sure the Nats WANT all of these things, but no one will be willing to OFFER all of that", instead they just all jumped in and offered their entire teams as tribute.

Yeah, I know Soto is a decade younger than Durant, but the Nets are (rightfully) demanding a monster package in the offseason and no one is biting.

That steep, steep price is gonna be coming down.

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So Montgomery-Colas-Schultz-Vera plus Burger-Martin-Sheets get it done? I think I’d do it.

Juan Soto is going to be one of the most valuable players ever traded. You aren't getting him for 1 top 100 prospect, maybe a 2nd if you squint hard enough on Colas, and then some interesting but not elite prospects. Basically every contending team in baseball could and would put a better offer on the table than that.

• Like 1

Soto’s contract extension, or lack thereof, won’t enter into the trade talks now taking place. Whichever team trades for him will be getting him for the rest of this season and the next two. Will said team try to convince him to sign an extension? Certainly. But you don’t need certainty around that to give up a king’s ransom in exchange for Soto. Per ZiPS, he’s projected to be the best player in baseball each of the next two years, and only behind Shohei Ohtani in rest-of-2022 value. Adding the very best player in the game for the next three playoff runs? I can think of plenty of teams who would like to do that.

Do you like your contending team’s best prospect? You’d like Soto more. That probably won’t get the job done, though. Adding a superstar is so valuable beyond the raw WAR figures — you’re concentrating production in a single roster spot, and the upgrade from whoever you’re currently plugging into Soto’s spot in the lineup will be massive — and the raw WAR figures already argue for nearly $90 million of surplus value in the next two-plus years.

If the Nationals are serious about trading him — and by all accounts, they are — they should do so by the trade deadline. Think of it this way: the best time to trade Juan Soto is never; the second-best time is right now. The difference between trading him now and after the season is enormous; all the teams likely to be in on the bidding are probable playoff teams, so having his bat in the lineup for an extra October will sweeten offers significantly. The last time a superstar of this magnitude was traded with this many years of team control remaining is basically never. You can think of the Chris Sale deal as a rough peer, and that required a huge haul from the Red Sox.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/with-juan-soto-available-the-nationals-have-upended-the-trade-market/

I dunno guys. If we can convince Washington to take Vaughn as the headline (ML Player) and a few of our top prospects, I think I'd be down. Resign Abreu for a few more years so we have 1B covered, Eloy to DH and Soto in LF. It would suck to lose Vaughn but you are getting one of the best LH bats in the game and balances our lineup. I think Dylan Cease has so much value now that it would be impossible to include him in this trade, same with Michael Kopech. I think the Nats will find it tough to find any team willing to part with their premium young ML established pitching in this trade as it is simply too valuable to have on your team. Like, I would sort of consider Cease for Soto straight up, but as an add-on? No thank you. 

Considering we only got 2 top prospects for Chris Sale I'd be willing to go Vaughn, their choice of top prospect from our minors, and 2 of our top 5-10 prospects. Stretching maybe into a 2nd top 5. And they can keep Patrick Corbin. 

The Dodgers or Padres will end up trading for him and the White Sox will never be mentioned as serious suitors, however. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Juan Soto is going to be one of the most valuable players ever traded. You aren't getting him for 1 top 100 prospect, maybe a 2nd if you squint hard enough on Colas, and then some interesting but not elite prospects. Basically every contending team in baseball could and would put a better offer on the table than that.

I still wouldn’t make that trade.

7 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

This is true but If you compare that trade to what’s being bandied about in, for example, that athletic article it is helpful. Teams aren’t going to send out an entire team.

The Sox in their trades made a standard of top hitter and top pitcher prospect. 

But they sacrificed backend talent to get there. Rizzo has very good scouts, and I also wouldn’t be surprised if their evals are much different.

Absolutely bonkers to think that the Nats have signed Stras to multiple lengthy high paying contracts and he has blown out his arm twice and has pitched exactly 5 games in the last three seasons, and they are content to let not one but TWO home-grown generational left handed outfield bats walk out the door because they don’t want to pay fair price.  And the Lerners are fucking loaded, in the middle of the DC market 

• Like 3

Soto doesn't guarantee squat or come close to it.

Can't we be a normal team and develop players and use them.  Sox are so fearful of that (unless they have outside branding as a top prospect) that they sign old utility infielders so as not to "risk" playing them.  The Indians dumped their 2B and his career 1/2 year on us last year, and the replacement (who was never a ranked prospect and was hitting modestly at the time in spot duty) made the All Star game this year.  They trade Kluber before he completely sours and,  what do you know, all start game closer!  I think the farm is in better shape than it has been in years (still bottom quartile, but what we have was earned by drafting, international signings and development, not by tanking).  I just hope we know what we have.

Edited by GreenSox

Starting next year, I would bet that if you look and compare stats over the next ten years (again starting with the 2023 season on thru 2032) I would bet big bucks that Vaughn has a higher OPS, more RBIs, and a clearly better BA. I am confident that Vaughn is going to be that good.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Starting next year, I would bet that if you look and compare stats over the next ten years (again starting with the 2023 season on thru 2032) I would bet big bucks that Vaughn has a higher OPS, more RBIs, and a clearly better BA. I am confident that Vaughn is going to be that good.

I'm a huge Vaughn fan, but this seems incredibly unlikely. Soto is YOUNGER than Vaughn. Soto has a chance to be one of the 3-5 greatest hitters of all-time.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm a huge Vaughn fan, but this seems incredibly unlikely. Soto is YOUNGER than Vaughn. Soto has a chance to be one of the 3-5 greatest hitters of all-time.

Yea there is no shame in saying you think Vaughn will be a lesser offensive player than Soto.  Also, Soto is a better defender.

• TLR 1

Soto is younger but has 1925 major league ABs. But Vaughn has only 690 major league ABs and basically nil for minor league experience, but for this year, their stats are comparable. Vaughn in 40 less ABs has more RBIs and much higher BA but Soto has more homers and a higher OPS. Give Vaughn the experience of 1900 ABs and we’ll see what his OPS is then.

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You try to make any trade work for Soto if Jerry would sign an extension (he won't). Vaughn, Kopech, Montgomery may not be enough.  But I'd do it easily.

I would venture to guess when he does get traded, it will not be a better package than Vaughn, Kopech, and Montgomery.

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I would debate that Vaughn, with what he is already doing with so few at bats and so little experience is more likely, I would say much more likely, to be a top 3 to 5 hitter of all time. Again, over the NEXT ten years, not last few years for my comparison.

Edited by vilehoopster
Forgot a word
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Soto is younger but has 1925 major league ABs. But Vaughn has only 690 major league ABs and basically nil for minor league experience, but for this year, their stats are comparable. Vaughn in 40 less ABs has more RBIs and much higher BA but Soto has more homers and a higher OPS. Give Vaughn the experience of 1900 ABs and we’ll see what his OPS is then.

I like Andrew Vaughn a lot, but he is in no way comparable to Soto. Not even close.

Juan Soto is a 6-7 war player. Andrew Vaughn will never come close to that, ever.