Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

17 hours ago, Superstar Lamar said:

in theory we are getting him for the prime years of his career

I'd love to see them get him running again as well, with 20+ SB.

In fact, get everyone running again.

Benintendi perfect fit in the 2 hole. Love that we don’t have to worry about Eloy having to play the field anymore. Also, love that we finally spent money instead of depleting our farm system in a trade. Let’s cross our fingers and hope the Sox can add some pitching and OF depth for injuries to arise. Our lack of minor league depth in Triple A has killed us for the past decade. 

Edited by PolishPrince34
-
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I don’t view it as a need given we have to give Grandal a shot at 18 mil. If Pedro severino or someone would take a Milb deal, that would be helpful

Or if you could trade Seby for a SP with options, a Tucker Barnhart would make a lot of sense

26 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Benintendi perfect fit in the 2 hole. Love that we don’t have to worry about Eloy  Vaughn having to play the field anymore

fixed that

Vaughn will probably lead the league in errors at 1B though.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 2
  • TLR 1

35 minutes ago, fathom said:

How are they going to get catching then?

I just don’t think they need catching. Yaz is on the roster. Him bouncing back has a higher probability than anyone they can realistically acquire imo. And backup types like McCann or Barnhart aren’t clearly better than Zavala 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, tray said:

No, just no.

Yes, just yes.

2019-2022

Great Smart Players who contribute, literally MVP, stay healthy.

• Abreu 528 Games; 97 HRs; 12.7 bWAR
  • Lopez 451 IP; 3.68 FIP; 7.9 bWAR

Players who can’t stay healthy, do stupid s%*#, sit on their couch and win stupid prizes

• Jimenez 316 Games; 71 HRs; 5.3 bWAR
  • Clevinger 282 IP; 3.74 FIP; 5.9 bWAR

2023 fWAR Projections

$25M - I’m the guy who does his job

• Abreu 658 PA; 22 HR; 128 wRC+; 2.5 fWAR
  • Lopez 178 IP; 3.67 FIP; 2.8 fWAR

$22M - You must be the other one

• Eloy 616 PA (LOLz) 32 HR; 133 wRC+; 3.0 fWAR
  • Clevinger 151 IP; 4.57 FIP; 1.3 fWAR
  • Haha 1

I'm late to this discussion, BUT considering what the options are or were because of JR wanting to tighten the belt and not overspend, it was a good move, not a great move but he is a legimate Left Fielder which will take some of the wear and tear on Roberts legs not having to worry about balls hit to his right. He is a left handed bat and that was sorely needed. I'm not sure about Corlas's defensive accumen. If he's average, if he's as fast as they say he is an let's face it, anybody in right who is an outfielder by trade is better than having Vaughn or Sheets or Garcia out there. We probably win 3 to 5 more games with this outfield. We need to see if Corlas can hit. He'll struggle until maybe the All Star break and hopefully get better. Whether we compete (note I'm not saying win) for the central will depend on 3 factors. 

1. which Moncada are we getting? 

2. which Grandahl are we getting

3. which Clevenger are we getting

The starters can get us by, the bullpen should be healthier, TA should ge healed, and if we go with Sosa at second, I'm good. 

There still may be a legit second baseman out there, personally I'd give Andrus a 2 year deal to play second. 

The other alterantive, and it's a BIG stretch, move Moncada to 2nd and roll the dice on Burger at 3rd, but as I said, that's the very last resort if Sosa completely chokes and bombs out. 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Listen:

- I’m happy that the Sox aren’t just going to pocket $30 million to pay back shareholders for 2020. 
- I’m happy that outfield defense is not compromised and Eloy is not going back. 
- I think his defense is being underrated and overrated. I think there are some extremely weird effects of measuring green monster stuff in Boston. In two years since, seems like he’s neutral. Totally fine. Upgrade for Sox from deep underwater to sea level, but our outfield defense hasn’t moved to a strength yet.

The lack of power is a huge issue for me. We left the Astros series seeing us fail offensively in two games where we had tons of hits. The only game we scored enough was led by power.

They signed Josh Harrison.

Last year we routinely strung games with LOTS of hits, all singles, and a terrible offense. 

Add Benintendi.

This org is power starved. It is priced out of power in all positions except 1B/DH, and it can’t add there because it has a bunch of 15 home run hitting 1B/DH.

This is where you all see me saying weird things like I was pro going after Sean murphy and not liking benintendi.

He flips catcher to being top 5 offensively and defensively.

But Benintendi was to 5 in LF wRC+ last year. It’s a real upgrade. It cost just money. All that is good.

I just can’t stand outfielders that can’t send it to the seats unless they are elite defensively.

I'm basically with you on almost everything you said. I love that they spent money on a better and LH OF. I never  pushed for an upgrade offensively at catcher because with too many holes to fill that were more important like OF and starting pitching I'm fine with Grandal , Zavala, Perez. I'd prefer an outstanding defensive catcher. BUt I understand wanting a "sure thing" power hitter.

I'm very in tune with helping the pitchers as much as possible with a guy with a good arm and good rapport with pitchers. I want speed and LH and defense. I want to take advantage of the new shift and pickoff limits with speed. I wanted an OF or OF's with speed and  power.

Those are reasons I wanted Colas to play so badly and wanted Outman or maybe Lars Nootbaar although my main opposition to them has been they are not sure things

I know my Outman stance has become a joke now but he would still be an ideal 4th OF because when Robert gets hurt he's still a LH power hitter who can play all 3 OF positions. It's why I wanted Garrett or Aquino rather than Payton or Reyes. Speed and  power  plus controllable youngish players with upside though not top prospects .

Guys like Outman and Nootbaar were developed by their organizations known for how they develop guys, Nootbaar through his work with Driveline and Outman with the Dodgers. Both totally revamped there swings and improved tremendously in a short period of time so much that they have never even had a blip on ranked prospects or even their own Top 30 lists . Both these improvements came after the off year in 2020 . The Cards did not hesitate to call up Nootbaar after only 35 games in AAA in 2021 after showing nothing before because they believed that though his work ethic he really did become much better. Outman followed a similar path reworking his swing with the Dodgers but just wasn't given the same chances in the OF with the Dodgers. Him spending any more time in the minors would be a shame. He's ready to contribute now.

I understand the reluctance even with Colas to rely on rookies given they all go through periods of looking like crap offensively . However you still get the defense and the power because they are truly well rounded defensive  OFers . But we've suffered both offensively and defensively  with Vaughn, Sheets and Eloy through injuries during the peak years of our "window" in the OF that I have a hard time believing that there would be all that much suffering with Colas and Outman or some other guys who I thought were better than Cespedes, Payton and Reyes.

It's one thing to want Eloy and Robert to have the best offensive years of their careers to propel us to the playoffs but you still have to prepare for the injuries they cannot seem to avoid by having strong backups available. The last thing we want is Eloy, Leury or Reyes  in the OF because Robert got injured.

Maybe it's just that some see 2023 as the last chance to actually make a run in the playoffs before everything really falls apart. But the last 2 years have been quite the disaster and a sure thing floor wise like Benintendi is like a Godsend to us now .  Vaughn and Eloy are where they belong now at 1st and DH and that' s where I want to keep them. It's just a shame that it appears the Sox are finally coming to their senses in a last ditch effort to salvage the damage they've inflicted for the last 2 years.

• TLR 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm basically with you on almost everything you said. I love that they spent money on a better and LH OF. I never  pushed for an upgrade offensively at catcher because with too many holes to fill that were more important like OF and starting pitching I'm fine with Grandal , Zavala, Perez. I'd prefer an outstanding defensive catcher. BUt I understand wanting a "sure thing" power hitter.

I'm very in tune with helping the pitchers as much as possible with a guy with a good arm and good rapport with pitchers. I want speed and LH and defense. I want to take advantage of the new shift and pickoff limits with speed. I wanted an OF or OF's with speed and  power.

Those are reasons I wanted Colas to play so badly and wanted Outman or maybe Lars Nootbaar although my main opposition to them has been they are not sure things

I know my Outman stance has become a joke now but he would still be an ideal 4th OF because when Robert gets hurt he's still a LH power hitter who can play all 3 OF positions. It's why I wanted Garrett or Aquino rather than Payton or Reyes. Speed and  power  plus controllable youngish players with upside though not top prospects .

Guys like Outman and Nootbaar were developed by their organizations known for how they develop guys, Nootbaar through his work with Driveline and Outman with the Dodgers. Both totally revamped there swings and improved tremendously in a short period of time so much that they have never even had a blip on ranked prospects or even their own Top 30 lists . Both these improvements came after the off year in 2020 . The Cards did not hesitate to call up Nootbaar after only 35 games in AAA in 2021 after showing nothing before because they believed that though his work ethic he really did become much better. Outman followed a similar path reworking his swing with the Dodgers but just wasn't given the same chances in the OF with the Dodgers. Him spending any more time in the minors would be a shame. He's ready to contribute now.

I understand the reluctance even with Colas to rely on rookies given they all go through periods of looking like crap offensively . However you still get the defense and the power because they are truly well rounded defensive  OFers . But we've suffered both offensively and defensively  with Vaughn, Sheets and Eloy through injuries during the peak years of our "window" in the OF that I have a hard time believing that there would be all that much suffering with Colas and Outman or some other guys who I thought were better than Cespedes, Payton and Reyes.

It's one thing to want Eloy and Robert to have the best offensive years of their careers to propel us to the playoffs but you still have to prepare for the injuries they cannot seem to avoid by having strong backups available. The last thing we want is Eloy, Leury or Reyes  in the OF because Robert got injured.

Maybe it's just that some see 2023 as the last chance to actually make a run in the playoffs before everything really falls apart. But the last 2 years have been quite the disaster and a sure thing floor wise like Benintendi is like a Godsend to us now .  Vaughn and Eloy are where they belong now at 1st and DH and that' s where I want to keep them. It's just a shame that it appears the Sox are finally coming to their senses in a last ditch effort to salvage the damage they've inflicted for the last 2 years.

It’s not so much about upgrading catcher, it was about adding an all star who may still be getting better and not caring as much about position. Great players, ones that are strong both offensively and defensively, paper over a lot. 

And he was like the one great player I could have seen Sox feasibly adding. 

I don’t really see another one available. 

That said, of soxtalk favs now, getting varsho I’d be a big fan of.

And re: outman, I think it makes even more sense to get these guys now, but more with seeing if they can be gotten via supplying younger prospects in potential 3 team deals.

Rosenthal suggested a rumored cards/dodgers trade for Dylan Carlson, so maybe that would open up an outman (though cements nootbar).

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Listen:

- I’m happy that the Sox aren’t just going to pocket $30 million to pay back shareholders for 2020. 
- I’m happy that outfield defense is not compromised and Eloy is not going back. 
- I think his defense is being underrated and overrated. I think there are some extremely weird effects of measuring green monster stuff in Boston. In two years since, seems like he’s neutral. Totally fine. Upgrade for Sox from deep underwater to sea level, but our outfield defense hasn’t moved to a strength yet.

The lack of power is a huge issue for me. We left the Astros series seeing us fail offensively in two games where we had tons of hits. The only game we scored enough was led by power.

They signed Josh Harrison.

Last year we routinely strung games with LOTS of hits, all singles, and a terrible offense. 

Add Benintendi.

This org is power starved. It is priced out of power in all positions except 1B/DH, and it can’t add there because it has a bunch of 15 home run hitting 1B/DH.

This is where you all see me saying weird things like I was pro going after Sean murphy and not liking benintendi.

He flips catcher to being top 5 offensively and defensively.

But Benintendi was to 5 in LF wRC+ last year. It’s a real upgrade. It cost just money. All that is good.

I just can’t stand outfielders that can’t send it to the seats unless they are elite defensively.

Let’s say Benintendi plays 140 games for the Sox in 2023. How many home runs would you predict he hits?

19 hours ago, hi8is said:

Benny and Clevenger is a good start… and canning the drunken sleepy old man also is 

Bruce suggesting he might lead off? Better obp than Tim I assume. With the Oscar and Benni show Sox OF getting a major upgrade.