Jump to content

Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud


CentralChamps21
 Share

Recommended Posts

Reasonable goals for every MLB team

 

Twins: Make last season forever forgotten
The Twins have acted in the exact opposite fashion of a team that just lost 89 games, but this is what you want from your team: To act like a bad season is a fluke, rather than a reason to start over. The Twins have obviously done the former: You don’t bring in Carlos Correa -- not to mention Gary Sánchez and Sonny Gray -- just to get back to .500. The Twins are trying to win the division. They’ve put themselves in a place to have a chance.

White Sox: Get off the playoff series schneid
Last year’s postseason was an undeniable disappointment: The White Sox were out of that Astros series before most realized they were even in it. For all the positive moves they’ve made, for all the strength they’ve shown in this division, the Sox still haven’t won a postseason series since the 2005 World Series. Suffice it to say, it’s time. A top-two seed is a reasonable goal, but that won’t mean anything if they don’t finally advance.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2022-goals-for-each-mlb-team?partnerId=zh-20220321-566303-mlb-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20220321-566303-mlb-1-A&bt_ee=aQmGtbYtXjg8nOiB23kUdtgewRv%2BB454SGeKnNqLAZutwpzni%2FGY7bBZYraU1JgJ&bt_ts=1647869134779

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Tony said:

This isn't a thing. Anywhere. Honestly, what are you even talking about? 

So once or twice through the lineup is definitely "a thing" in the playoffs.  So logically, assuming rules changes don't stunt this strategy that it would become "a thing" over time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we need to accept the fact the Tainted Glove rumor was BS at this point.

Yeah, I would think if the Sox had an offer that was acceptable, they would take it. Sitting on 3 for days makes little sense which how fragile pitchers can be.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I couldn't handle two dogs; just Crede. 

I can't handle 1....I do however have an imaginary dog that I take for walks during the season when GameThreads get too crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

So once or twice through the lineup is definitely "a thing" in the playoffs.  So logically, assuming rules changes don't stunt this strategy that it would become "a thing" over time.  

This topic really doesn't need more time spent on it than I've already given it, but greg said "let pitchers go 3 innings max" 

Going "once or twice through the lineup" is a different topic, and not what greg said. 

Additionally, what is done in the playoffs currently can be done because teams know the offseason is right around the corner, and it's lose or go home. All the chips are on the table. 

I'll bet you anything you want that in 20 years, there are still "Starting Pitchers" that go 6, 7 innings deep during the regular season, and post-season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I truthfully don't believe you could trade Eloy today and improve the club.  He has the upside of one of the very best RHH in the game.  Will he reach that upside?  Probably not if the Sox keep running him out in LF everyday, but its enormous.  You'd be selling low and it just doesn't make sense.  

All true but if you wait and he gets injured again for a good part of the season we'll keep waiting for that upside while he becomes worth even less. Him playing DH more would mitigate some of that injury downside but theoretically isn't he worth more as a LF than as a DH ?

Eloy so far has been an injury magnet. Plenty of times it involved playing the OF but he's also had minor injuries from sliding into home, getting hit by a foul ball in the dugout and celebrating Gio's no hitter.

Trading him would open up LF for Vaughn . Maybe trading him gets someone good and LH for RF . Eloy still has plenty of value from his upside and contract extension so it might be selling low but not that low. Maybe Arizona Ketel Marte and Daulton Varsho would improve the Sox.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Wisebri224 said:

It's really smart of the Sox.  Maybe if they keep adding promo days and a few more beer days, they will make us forget everything else.  

They've always done a lot of great things with the promo department. The Sox are VERY good at the overall ballpark experience (aside from when it's packed and they have no idea how to handle the crowds lol) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All true but if you wait and he gets injured again for a good part of the season we'll keep waiting for that upside while he becomes worth even less. Him playing DH more would mitigate some of that injury downside but theoretically isn't he worth more as a LF than as a DH ?

Eloy so far has been an injury magnet. Plenty of times it involved playing the OF but he's also had minor injuries from sliding into home, getting hit by a foul ball in the dugout and celebrating Gio's no hitter.

Trading him would open up LF for Vaughn . Maybe trading him gets someone good and LH for RF . Eloy still has plenty of value from his upside and contract extension so it might be selling low but not that low. Maybe Arizona Ketel Marte and Daulton Varsho would improve the Sox.

I think all of his more major injuries have happened playing the field.  I don't think Eloy is really "worth" less to the Sox being a DH.  He's not a good OF and he's worth nothing when he's on the IL.  Seems pretty straight forward to me.  If he were a good OF of course his trade value would be higher than if he were a DH only, but Sox shouldn't be worried about his trade value.  They should be worried about getting him 600+ at bats because healthy Eloy can absolutely rake.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

They've always done a lot of great things with the promo department. The Sox are VERY good at the overall ballpark experience (aside from when it's packed and they have no idea how to handle the crowds lol) 

That's weird, I'd say the opposite. I think it's much better navigating a sellout than when it's 15k people and they only staff 10%, so you get stuck in lines for 4 innings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

These bobbleheads are awesome, especailly the Robert/Eloy and TA7 ones. 

No Christmas in July??!!  Boo, Brooks Boyer....Booooo.**

 

**This opinion is purely one held by said poster and does not reflect the views of Soxtalk management or its employees.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I speak only for myself but this is about as down as I could possibly be on a club projected to win the division.

I’m not very excited either. This team doesn’t have much of a chance to go all the way at all unless no one gets hurt and everyone performs like they are supposed to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m not very excited either. This team doesn’t have much of a chance to go all the way at all unless no one gets hurt and everyone performs like they are supposed to.

We're a Luis Robert torn thumb or strained hammy away from being in a dogfight. Didn't have to be this way.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, quickman said:

I am actually with you on this . I was more excited going into last year at this time. 

The possibilities with all these guys with another year under their betls... Robert, Jimenez, Moncada, Vaughn, Sheets on the offensive side, then Cease, Kopech and Crochet plus the bullpen in general on the pitching side all makes it pretty exciting for me, that is to say more exciting than the offseason has been frustrating

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Quin locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...