White Sox sign Martin Maldonado 1 year/4 million, vesting option for 2025

4 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

This is a move that would make sense if we were competing, but we aren't

I think it makes sense for that reason actually. he might be totally done and won't cost much and carlos perez isn't worth looking at, at the very least he probably has some wisdom to impart on the catchers with upside. 

my only issue is that hackenberg looks much improved and had a very solid 2023. .649 OPS in 2022 across A+ and AA versus .755 in 2023 at AA-AAA. he looks pretty good defensively and has a cannon for an arm too. carrying three catchers isn't a completely insane strategy though.

Edited by nrockway

14 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If these are the types they are going for, their offense will make Iowa’s look competent.  Could this mean the Salvy Perez stuff was BS?

Far over 95% of trade and FA rumors from writers and insiders are BS. 

People are making comparisons to older Sox signings of the past, but several of these guys were paid a lot of money and they were signed theoretically to contribute to a winning team. I'm fine with inexpensive 1 year deals for positions where there is little to no depth to get the team through 162 and perhaps mentor younger players.

While the hiring process was deeply flawed, and Jerry and La Russa are still there advocating for all sorts of 20th century nonsense, I'm giving Getz some time to communicate a plan, see if it's worthwhile and credible, and then see what he does to advance those aims. He has done a good job purging older players and sketch personnel through this stage, including declining options.

Chris Getz 40 Man Roster Player Acquisitions

• 9/5/23 RP Yohan Ramirez (29)
  • 10/3/23 RP Alex Speas (26)
  • 11/14/23 SP Jake Eder (26)
  • 11/14/23 SP Cristian Mena (22)
  • 11/16/23 SS Braden Shewmake (27)
  • 11/16/23 SP Michael Soroka (27)
  • 11/16/23 SP Jared Shuster (26)
  • 11/16/23 SS Nicky Lopez (29)
  • 11/28/23 SS Paul DeJong (31)

Chris Getz 40 Man Roster Player Removals (DFA/Demotions/Players Electing FA)

• 8/25/23 RP Brent Honeywell (29)
  • 9/4/23 C Seby Zavala (31)
  • 11/2/23 C Yasmani Grandal (36)
  • 112/23 RP Bryan Shaw (37)
  • 11/2/23 SS Elvis Andrus (36)
  • 11/3/23 OF Clint Frazier (30)
  • 11/3/23 OF Trayce Thompson (33)
  • 11/3/23 RP Liam Hendriks (35)
  • 11/3/23 SP Mike Clevinger (34)
  • 11/4/23 SS Tim Anderson (31)
  • 11/16/23 RP Aaron Bummer (31)
  • 11/28/23 CF Adam Haseley (28)
  • 11/30/23 RP Nicholas Padilla (28)

Chris Getz 40 Man Roster Players In-n-Out

• In 9/9/23 Out 11/2/23 Jose Urena (33)
  • In 9/26/23 Out 10/3/23 Tyler Naquin (33)

12/31/2024 year age listed above

1 hour ago, FT35 said:

Why is it that a player has to be completely awful for a year before we get interested in him?

It’s cheaper that way. It would be a weird signing for a team that’s not delusional. Are they , like JR suggested, trying to win? If so, you need several pitchers. Is it a transitional year? Then you really don’t need this guy. 
 As great as he once was with the glove and calling a game, even the Astros with all their bats were always contemplating replacing him. With the Sox, Pedro may bat him 5th.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Any cheap veteran catcher that can help the young catchers and pitchers is good with me. That should be the priority.

If Maldonado’s defense and game calling have slipped, as some have mentioned, then that’s a disservice to the pitching staff.

I hope we shoot higher than Maldonado.  Catcher is the most important defensive position on the field.  The old Maldonado would have been perfect.

I think that Getz is out there talking with GM's and agents about guys who can't play anymore, so that Getz can practice. Kinda like a kid who is just learning how to play the piano, and he's practicing the scales in front of his teacher. Everything is discordant.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

Any cheap veteran catcher that can help the young catchers and pitchers is good with me. That should be the priority.

If Maldonado’s defense and game calling have slipped, as some have mentioned, then that’s a disservice to the pitching staff.

That's what I care about too. They need a vet backup who can show Lee the ropes until Quero is ready. No more overpriced bad catchers who get starts because of contract or past pedigree.

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

Kinda like a kid who is just learning how to play the piano, and he's practicing the scales in front of his teacher.

Anybody who has bought a new car in their life could probably navigate a major league trade. If it's truly so hard that one needs all this experience to make trades, then every baseball message board should be closed down, because none of us has any idea what we're talking about. Unless Dan Evans or Hawk Harrelson lurk. 

On 12/1/2023 at 2:43 PM, Dick Allen said:

If these are the types they are going for, their offense will make Iowa’s look competent.  Could this mean the Salvy Perez stuff was BS?

If it's not apparent yet to any Sox fan allow me to spell it out.

Salvador Perez would be a luxury item for this team now akin to the Cubs pursuit of Ohtani. Salvador Perez is the White Sox Ohtani.

Let that sink in.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If it's not apparent yet to any Sox fan allow me to spell it out.

Salvador Perez would be a luxury item for this team now akin to the Cubs pursuit of Ohtani. Salvador Perez is the White Sox Ohtani.

Let that sink in.

I doubt that Perez is on the WS radar.

On 12/1/2023 at 11:36 PM, nrockway said:

I think it makes sense for that reason actually. he might be totally done and won't cost much and carlos perez isn't worth looking at, at the very least he probably has some wisdom to impart on the catchers with upside. 

my only issue is that hackenberg looks much improved and had a very solid 2023. .649 OPS in 2022 across A+ and AA versus .755 in 2023 at AA-AAA. he looks pretty good defensively and has a cannon for an arm too. carrying three catchers isn't a completely insane strategy though.

I'm glad you brought up Hackenberg. When discussing the catching I was tempted to bring him into the conversation but since no one else did I figured no one took him to be a consequential option especially those pining for the top Dodger's catching prospect in a Cease trade. I've made it known that I'm not a big fan of getting more catching or DH 1st baseman type prospects who offer no baserunning or defenseful value.

Prospect rankings mean very little if you are viewed as nothing but a bat and organizations do their best to hide defensive inefficiency with buzz words and phrases like " much improved." It's why scouting is so important and not just cursory looks but scouts out on the road constantly in their territory attending as many games as possible getting multiple looks and submitting reports on as many players as possible and then updating those reports on a regular basis.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Why would we be in on the reliever market?

Even if Santos is out, you've got Crochet, Leasure, and there's several AAA/AAAA scrubs that can fill out the pen. I'm not sure why we are spending money on that. 

I have no problem with signing relievers to 1 year deals. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Kyyle23 changed the title to White Sox sign Martin Maldonado 1 year/4 million, vesting option for 2025