Sox working on signing a LF

CWSpalehoseCWS

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

That would be awesome. Sign me up. I knew you would be a Nootbar guy too given your affinity for Outman.

Funny thing is I went through the Cardinal top 30 prospects going back to 2019 to the present and didn't see Nootbaars name on any of their Top 30 prospects on MLB Pipeline.

He just started hitting in 2021 after playing in the Cardinals alternate site in 2020 since there wasn't a 2020 Minor League season. He wasn't anything special in AA in 2019 as an 8th rd pick but all of a sudden in AAA in 2021 he was on fire and the Cards just called him up after only 35 games in AAA when he was 23. Body like Outman 6'3" 215. But Cards another one of those organization that has a knack for developing.

This is what I found regarding his transformation in such a short period of time.

https://www.drivelinebaseball.com/2022/04/st-louis-cardinals-how-lars-nootbaar-added-8-mph-of-bat-speed/

It's really some fascinating stuff on how Driveline identifies and fixes problems with a slow swing.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

6 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Is there a LF available to sign who doesn't suck?

That's kind of my thought. None of these guys excite me.

Gallo - it's hard to imagine him not being terrible if they sign him. He ended last year as one of the worst hitters in baseball. If that trend continues, good Lord.

Benintendi - he has no power, which the Sox desperately need, and you're buying high on him off a career year. Nah.

I guess I would prefer Conforto, on the off chance he is somewhat healthy and returns to form from a couple of years ago.

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's actually supposed to be one of the nicest guys in the media.

I think the issue with us Sox fans is he is a huge cubs fanboy who will glom on to the Sox when it matters and none of us like that, and we also cannot avoid it because he is literally everywhere.  I don’t really believe he is a douche either, he really does seem well liked 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fathom said:

I still think it’s possible Hendriks and a prospect gets traded for Jansen, and Sox use some of the cash to bring in a reliever also.

That would be terrible. Jansen for Hendriks would be miserable move… if you’re getting a catcher for him, you get Moreno 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Robert & Cease aren't going anywhere, and I don't think there's enough left in the org to land Varsho. Just eyeballing it myself, he looks like a top ~50 trade value guy in baseball right now.

McCarthy would be a good get even if it's not super exciting. Alek Thomas would be great but I'm not sure if Arizona would seriously be looking to deal him.

Yeah I think Arizona is definitely the way to go for a smart trade. Don’t know if Varsho will be in our prospect price range, but McCarthy makes a ton of sense. Obviously wouldn’t be a big splash, but Arizona also has 2 ‘19 draft picks in AAA that are LH Of’ers that have been great in the minors- Dominic Fletcher and Dominic Canzone. Almost makes too much sense for Hahn to make something happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Maybe KAP just said this to rile up WS fans and take attention of cubs fo for not doing anything constructive?

Its the conspiracy theorist in me. I like KAP but he is a cubs fo butt kisser after all

He’s not a vindictive person like that. He has sources too. I’d believe him if he said he heard something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Seems like a “one hit wonder” guy last year. Track record shows nothing for him right?

Came up in 2021 did better in 2022 hopefully you read that article I posted on how he rebuilt his swing with Driveline. He put his time on the sidelines during 2020 to good use .

There are players who can be fixed and as I said before, 2020 was a year that could help you or hurt you and sometimes both . It gave you time to work on things that need time to fix like your whole swing. Not an easy thing to fix . Takes constant reinforcement and repetition to swing a whole new way than what you have done your whole life but it also takes a year off the calendar for older prospects who bloom late .

Outman basically did the same thing , fixed his whole swing. Nootbaar is kind of a template for what Outman could be once he gets some PT in the majors. Usually most scouting reports I find on players I get through MLB Pipelines Top 30 prospects for each team list. Couldnt do that with Nootbaar since he was never on any Top 30 list of the Cards.

He seems like a good defensive OF from his Baseball Savant Page you'd like him based on that.It's filled with red offensively and defensively ( which is good). Very strong arm , I love those guys with guns.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Yankees line up as potential trade partner. Notwithstanding the presence of Donaldson, Yankees need a SS and Anderson fits well. Yankees have a bevy of SSs in minor leagues and I would target Oscar Peraza, who saw quite a bit of time on big league roster in '22. He could step in and start for Sox immediately. Would also target Everson Pereira in a 2 for 1 deal (@ same surplus value). Pereira can play all 3 OF spots and definitely passes the eye test. Could even expand the deal to include Hendricks for Gleybar Torres. Fills 3 positions of need w/youngsters who have strong upside while slashing payroll.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Brantley's bat would excite me a bit.  Don't know how much OF he still has in him, but a professional batter of his quality is badly needed on this team. 

Yeah, Brantley would be a mixed feelings for me.  The bat is a perfect the fit.  The injuries and the defense definitely is not.  

• Like 1

Sox fans are in disarray. 

Just yelling how they hate Kapman. Dude is good people. Hard worker, knows how to mix it up and make good tv/radio. Plays for the cameras. Leans in when necessary. He's got a job to do and he's done very well to keep a role like this going in the Chicago media for decades. 

I also love the tone of this thread. Leave it to the Sox to absolutely obliterate their championship window so terribly that we are maybe 2 years into it, with still a pretty significant core and chance to win and we are reacting the way we are. 

Now, don't take that as a knock. I am right there with you. My allegiance to the White Sox is the lowest it's been in 25 years. They are all but dead to me and will have to win me back. It's not going to be through spending, so it better come through 95+ win baseball.